Chapter 6

Tobias:

Tris and I walk out of the Bureau, leaving all of the unpleasant memories behind us. We leave our old lives behind, and start a new one, beginning with Tris's new apartment.

I lead her to the edge of the street where a silver car is waiting for us. It reminds me of the erudite cars with solar panels on the roofs, back when we still had factions. I let Tris slide in the backseat first, and I follow, shutting the door behind me.

"Hey guys!" says Matthew, from the front seat.

He was one of the only people I could find that was willing to drive us around. That, and Tris seems to get along with him pretty well.

"Hi Matthew," says Tris.

"Thanks again for doing this," I say. It really means a lot."

"No problem," replies Matthew. "Let's go."

The drive takes about five minutes, not very long, but Tris and I sit in silence. I want to have a decent conversation with her, but Matthew lip-synching to the radio makes that impossible. So I settle for holding her hand.

When we arrive at the apartment building, I thank Matthew once again, and walk inside to check in. Tris and I walk through the automatic doors and up to the man at the front desk. "Hello," I say. "Room cards for Tris Prior and Tobias Eaton."

He opens a drawer in his desk and pulls out two cards. "Here you go," he says. "Enjoy your stay."

"Thank you," I say, taking the cards from his outstretched hands. "We will."

We walk to the elevator and press the button for level three. "So you got a room too?" asks Tris.

"Well, it's actually just one master suite for the two of us," I say. "It's a lot cheaper than buying two regular sized rooms, and after all that we've been through, I feel like I need to protect you more."

"I don't need to be protected," she says, "but I love that you only bought one."

We smile at each other, and then the doors open.

I lead her down the hall and finally arrive at apartment. I put my hand on the knob and look into her eyes; even with the dim lighting, they seem to sparkle. "Happy 17th birthday Tris," I say. I push open the door.