Chapter 4: Waking Up

Hey, everyone! Thanks for reading and I appologize for this chapter being so short. I promise to make the next one longer.

Enjoy! 

-Vanessa-

_______________________________________________________________________________

I awoke two days later in a room that was all white. I was laying in a white bed with silver bars are either side of it. I sat up and realized that I wasn't alone.

“Oh. You're awake.” He said.

“What happened, Jonah?” I asked, not really remembering much of the attack.

“That slut, Francheska, summoned a monster to attack you.” He replied.

“Oh, wow! She must really hate me.”

“No, it's just jealousy. She's just afraid that you'll go out with me and she won't get a chance to, but allow me to let you in on a secret. I don't like her. I like someone else and I like that person a lot.” He told me, grinning.

“And who might this person be?”

“Oh, just some girl that I met the other day. We sort of bumped into each other.”

“Oh.” I remarked, frowning slightly.

“So, do you remember anything about what happened?” Jonah asked, changing the subject.

“Well, all I remember is making that shield thing, except that I don't know how I did it and then when it faltered all I remember after that is seeing you attack that wolf monster thing and then I remember blacking out.” I explained.

Before he could say anything else, a woman wearing a white coat entered the room and approached us.

“Oh, I see that you're finally awake.” The woman stated, grinning happily.

“Valerie, this is Nurse Penny. She’ll explain everything about what happened.” Jonah informed me.

“So, Valerie I hear that you had a weird experience the other day?” The nurse asked.

“Yeah. I experienced something pretty weird.” I answered.

“Well, it seems that you fainted at the sight of the shield faltering and seeing the beast lunge towards you.”

“Um. . . I am confused. Did I use magic? I mean, that isn’t possible, is it? I mean, I’m not a magical being. . . Am I?”

It couldn’t be possible, could it?

“You weren’t kidding when you said she didn’t have any idea who she was. Were you, Mr. Conner?”

“No, Nurse. I wasn’t kidding.” Jonah replied, a sad expression on his face.

“I'm sorry. What're you guys talking about? I know who I am. I'm Valerie Turpin, daughter to Melinda and Greggory Turpin. I was there the night they were mugged. Heck! I can still feel the sting in my palm from that night. See?” I held my hand out to show them the scar on my palm that was shaped oddly.

“It can't be. . .” Jonah grabbed my hand and examined the scar closer. That's when I noticed the odd marking on his hand, circling his thumb.

“How do you have one too?” I was beginning to feel more and more confused.

“Only the shadow-kissed have markings like that. . .” He let go of me, both of us gasping as my palm accidentally brushed across the area his marking was on and a warmth shot through us.

“What the?” I declared, pulling my hand back and staring down at the now completely visible mark on my palm. It was three crescent moons, connected by swirling lines and it burned dark purple. I continued to stare down at the mark, memorizing every detail of it and trying to remember how I got it. I did this for several long moments when I finally demanded, “How did I get this?"