Chapter 22 - For My Mom

Ash POV

I heard hoarse coughing through the thin door of the living room. Although there was only a small, dingy, bathroom and an even smaller bedroom. I sat in the main room where we had a worn gray couch and a mini fridge. Ah yes, our home. My mom had been sick for the past few months, but for the past week it had gotten even worse.

~Flashback~

"Aston! Help." It was those two words from my mom that woke me up quicker than ever before. I could barely hear her. It was less than a whisper. I jumped up and ran to my moms room, panting and sweating.

"Mom! What is it?" I asked calmly, well trying to be calm.

"I, I can- can't-bre-ea-the." She was grabbing air in between words. Oh no. I ran to the corner and fumbled for the medication. I picked the bottle of pills up through a pile of dirty laundry and dashed over to the creaky twin bed where my mom was.

"Sit up please, I've got the pills, it will be okay, it will be okay," I said in a hushed tone. I struggled to open the bottle. Push and twist. Child proofing was annoying. I tore off the lid finally and dumped the remaining three pills in my palm. Three pills, that was all that was left. "Open your mouth, open your mouth please." She tilted back her head and opened her mouth. "Thank you." I dropped the pills into my moms mouth, my beloved mom. I had lived with her ever since my dad ran off, which was since I was born. "Swallow." I told her, it was almost a command, "-please," I added.

You can do it, please, I can't live without you, I wouldn't live without you. My heart thumped at 6,000 beats per minute. Choking noises, a few gurgles. 

You can do it.

A tear dripped down my face, a slow thick tear full of sadness. I closed my eyes, thinking it was over. It was all over. I heard a breath, a breath! 

"I love you Ash."

I took a heavy breath too, "I love you too Mom."

~End Flashback~

That was the first of many midnight scares. A new style of terrified each time. I can't do this anymore...

Two Days Later at 2:21 am

I sat alone, awake in the dark. My eyes puffy from crying. Out of pills, and out of tears. She was going to leave soon, and I can't bare that. Oh mom. I live for her, and for her only. Kind, beautiful, elegant, selfless, generous, there were endless words to describe what an amazing woman she is, and what am I? A hateful bully? One who takes out their anger on others? I am nothing like her. My hands were pruned from the amount of tears. 

"Aston."

A whisper. I walked slowly over to the door and pulled it open. My feet felt like a thousand pounds each. 

"Aston?"

"I'm here Mom," I responded. It was a whisper too. I knelt by her bed. "What is it?"

"I love you, you know that right?" She told me. The amount of concern in her voice, it tore me apart. 

"I know, I love you too, I love you so much." I replied. I grabbed her hand and held it. To me a single finger would be worth an unlimited amount of money. "Mom."

"Aston, you are so kind." I smiled at that, a faint smile. "So thoughtful." The tears swelling, now pouring down my face. "So generous."

"Mom, don't leave me, don't leave me, you can't." I struggled to get the words out.

"Aston. I'm proud that you're my kid. Don't ever change." The light left her eyes. I cried. I couldn't control it. A tidal wave of sadness, guilt most of all. I'm not kind, thoughtful or generous, but I will be. I will be for her. For my Mom.

No, what?! I'm not crying. No, not at all. Well that's it. Sorry for not updating. Sorry if this chapter broke your heart! 

>:D River