4. Farewell

David Bishopgate stood outside Halls' villa. He was taking the measure of crowd moving haphazardly on the lawn. His eyes were wet.

The next moment he felt a soft hand on his shoulder. He turned. There stood a pleasing lady who was skinny and a head shorter than David. As David spoke, only his lips moved and no voice came out as if his throat was chocked, 'Millie!' She massaged his back as she said, 'Be calm.'

Both of them entered the villa. In the hall dead body of Elizabeth was lying. David held her dead hand and wept, 'I was a ray of ambition, and she added a philosopher in me. I knew the rigidity of iron and she taught me how to be a soft rubber.'

Millie moved and provided him a shoulder to cry on and whispered in his ear, 'David, please curb your emotions for time being. None knew that you possess affection for her. She committed suicide even without writing a note. You will be under a great problem if they came to knew about it.'

Both of them attended Elizabeth's funeral though David wasn't able to cry and get the sympathy that a lover should get.

As the grains of soil gravitate

From my hands towards thy crate,

My doleful heart mandates

The tears which are the sole intermediate

To touch you this much late.

What is left which sounds well

After your never returning farewell?