Chapter 1: A Typical California Day

I woke up to the sound of pounding on my door. Here we go again, I thought to myself. "Get up and make your father and I breakfast, we're late to work and its all your fault!!!" My mom Alicia screamed through my door.

I got up from bed trudging. Oh gosh why, of all people, why did they have to adopt me? Why did they have to adopt anyone? They're horrible parents!!! They're horrible humans!!!

I opened the blinds to a sunny day in California. There were people walking outside enjoying it. At least they seem happy. That's good. I hope they're happy enough. Whatever, I thought, time to make breakfast.

_______________________________________________________________________

My parents left a long time ago, so that gave me time to clean the house. The whole house. It's very quite in here when they're not here.Just another typical Cali day.

...Wait,

Realization hit me. They haven't called me yet. They always call me to ask if I'm doing the chores that they are supposed to do.

They always call.

Always.

Something's wrong here.

What happened?

Oh no!!! I'm having that bad feeling again.

The bad feeling I got when my godmother died.

Or when my father came home drunk and beat me just for the heck of it.

I started to freak out. Another anxiety attack. My fingers twitched. My head jerked. I randomly yelped. I paced as I twiddled my thumbs. I tugged at my hair. I scratched my face. I suddenly grabbed my collection of foreign coins and played with them so that they made clinging sounds. That always calms me down. A few minutes later, I was back to normal. I stayed in my room and looked at my collection. My favorites were the pounds from UK. I've always wanted to go there. For some reason, I always felt like I belonged over there.....

"Knock, Knock, Knock"

.... I was ripped from my thoughts when someone knocked on the front door. I froze. I was alone. Was it my parents? Did something happen at work? I hoped not. They would take their frustration out on me. No more beatings, I thought, my hip still hurts from the last time my father, Robert, threw me down the stairs. No more.

Knock, Knock ,Knock!!

The knocking got louder. Let's get this over with, I thought. I opened the door.

To my surprise, it wasn't my parents.

It was a police officer.

"How may I help you, sir?" I asked quietly.

"Hello miss," he said politely...and quite sadly, "Are you Valerie? Valerie Stefen?"

"Yeah...." I replied cautiously. Something's wrong.

The officer took off his hat. Not a good sign.

"I'm sorry sweetie, but I regret to inform you that your parents, Robert and Alicia Stefen, have just been in a fatal car crash.......

" They've passed away."

-------------------------------------

Author's Note:

Hiiiii!!! My name is Vianelys Montero Sanchez, but don't call me that. I'm Nely to you!!! Let's be friends!!!

Ok, to tell you the truth, I'm not very good at author's notes. This is my first story and I've only been a Wattpad member for like two days, including today. So I hope you like the story so far...... Bye :)

Oh wait!!!!! P.S. does anyone know how to make a cover for these stories? I'm telling you, I'm new here!! Thank you!!!