He's Coming - Part 1

Author's Note: Well, here it is - it starts again. If you haven't read The Realms, you should probably do that before reading this one. It's not imperative (I don't think), but it'll certainly help fill in the gaps. 

Thanks to the following people for their comments and support with the previous book - in no particular order: 

agriffin32 identityloading ColletteKozuchLepley shantelle721 tasfia01 Dante_Greywolf pandalee528 nicoleblakebontaine andesitelyaconSpobyfanfiction3

Without further ado...

Hannah.

Hannah. Wake up.

Hannah, he's coming. You need to wake up.

WAKE UP!

I wake with a start and almost topple off the tree. Maizie's voice is still ringing in my ears as I rub my eyes, adjusting to the dim light. One of the worst things about the First Realm is the eerie semi-darkness. I shift myself on the thick branch, high above the busy path below. It's quiet now, but at any moment that can change. There are more beasts here than there are names. I look up and down the broad branches, then across the heavy cover of trees surrounding me. There are creatures that prefer to lurk in the canopy to hunt their prey, and I'm not naïve enough to think I won't be tasty to at least one of them.

I lean back against the tree and sigh, letting my exhaustion ease over me like a blanket. I have no idea who is so important for Maizie to breach my psyche or whether this 'he' is harmless or dangerous. I just need sleep, a lot of sleep.

Since being torn from Ryan, Maizie and the rest of the Third Realm and landing here on the First Realm it's been a constant battle for survival. I don't want to die. I'm afraid if I do, I won't remember who I am when I come back. But the relentless alertness, the running, the fear, the ache in my chest, both literal and figurative for Ryan, is wearing me out. I pull the brown fur away from my body so I can rub my bonding scar, which still burns white hot from time to time. I don't know why it does that or what it means, but I hope it's Ryan's way of saying that he misses me.

A loud bellow rings out through the forest and I sit up abruptly, steadying myself on the branch with my hands. I rub my eyes and brush my tatted dark blonde hair back from my face. I'm filthy and I'm pretty sure I smell of sweat and rotten meat. I turn weary eyes to look down the well-worn route. It's a wide path for this area. I see a lot of animals of various sizes and shapes scurry, shuffle or barrel down this path. But, I have yet to see another human of any variety. 

Now, though, running full tilt down the path, screaming at the top of his lungs is a man dressed in black. The scream isn't filled with terror, though, it's pure joy. Moments later an enormous, but thin, hairless body with a large set of jaws emerges behind him and snaps at his heels, causing the man to start slightly, laugh and then pick up his pace.

More awake than I've been in months, I scramble down another branch, wondering whether I should offer my hand to the stranger as he passes. He's running so fast, I'm not sure I can reach the branch in time. He's a bit of a blur. But, I loop my legs around the lowest branch that seems safe enough, preparing to drop down at the last minute to help him if he needs it.