Asserting Power - Part 32

Voices filter through my consciousness first. Rocco and Mason are speaking heatedly, but I can't make out their words. My fingers flutter to my chest and my scar is cool to the touch. Either I've been out a while or Mason didn't take Ryan's power. I hope it is the latter; the former meant trouble. I groan and sit up; I feel a little groggy, which is an unusual feeling for me.

Clara comes over and crouches beside me. "You okay?"

There's two of her, I think. Her dark face isn't clear and the whites of her eyes and teeth seem overly bright. My vision seems to be a bit blurry. I waver slightly and then collapse back down.

"Mason, you took too much," Clara's voice is tinged with anger. "She can't even sit up and look at me."

"Relax, okay. All of you just relax."

I picture him holding up his hands, like a thief cornered. I have no idea if he actually took too much or if I would have felt like this no matter what. I've never had someone drain my powers; I wonder if this was how Ryan feels on the Third Realm when my scar flares here. God, I hope not. How can he function like this? I try to sit up again and the tree spins a little. At least we are still in the same place; I didn't miss months like the first time I was knocked out.

I lay back down and my mind drifts to all the things Mason just told me. He felt betrayed by me a long time ago and this is what he became as a result. A twinge of guilt pinches the back of my subconscious. Even though I know it's not my fault, it still stings a little to know that I'm at the root of Mason's long streak of insane behavior. In some ways, Ryan has been saving us both for months, maybe even years. I hope we don't let him down.

Mason crouches beside me. "You alright, Queenie?"

"Been better, my Lord," I say.

"Ah, I see your sense of humor is still intact. Can't be too bad, then." He puts his hand on my forehead and then leans down to my ear and whispers, "Just going to top you up, now that I'm awake."

A jolt of power surges through my body and I push his hand off my forehead and sit up. I'm not dizzy anymore, but I do feel a little giddy. I think I might be drunk.

"Hmmm, I think I might have given her a bit too much." He laughs.

"Why does this feel so different?" I ask, eyeing him suspiciously.

"When you take someone's power, your body automatically registers how much you need to do whatever you're doing. You're in charge. When someone gives you their power; it's less of a science. It was a guess on my part; hence the drunken feeling."

"Right." I nod my head as though all of this isn't foreign and strange, still.

Rocco crouches beside me. "He shouldn't have taken your power to get himself out." He's angry, not thoughtful like normal.

I shake my head. "He didn't take it, not really. I gave it freely."

Rocco looks at Mason over his shoulder. "He should have taught you how to give it, then."

Mason gives me an amused look. "What can I say? My soul is a work in progress."

I roll my eyes. "I'm not arguing about this. We have things we need to get done. I'm sure I drained Ryan pretty hard with that teleporting thing. We know that Grayson is hunting us and that he's building a little army. We need to meet with the keepers, which requires a very safe space. We need Ryan and maybe Maizie in on that meeting, too." I look around at everyone. "Am I missing anything?"

Rocco, Riven and Clara exchange glances.

"What am I missing?"

Riven laughs. "Nothing. It's just normally Mason is the one barking orders."