The cliffs of Merical - Part 34

In the distance, there is a thick layer of swirling smoke. Mason has a branch and is drawing diagrams of all the dangerous places in Merical. The smoke makes it hard to see the cliff faces, of which there are many; then, there are the geysers of volcanic lava and the steam bombs that pop out of the release valves in the rocks. All in all – I'm really wondering whether Mason's actually swung back into insanity in bringing us here.

Rocco isn't looking at the ground, but off in the distance. "Where exactly are we hoping to make camp?" he asks.

Mason looks up from the ground. "The valley."

Rocco raises his eyebrows. "If there's a meltdown, that's the worst place to be."

"True," Mason agrees, but he doesn't change the destination.

"Meltdown?" I ask.

"The geysers can, at any moment, sync. When that happens, the valley floods with hot lava. My understanding is that there isn't much warning." He turns back to Mason, clearly frustrated with his lack of caring. "I'm not keen to die drowning in hot lava."

Clara and Riven shift uncomfortably and look away from the confrontation between the two of them. I keep watching, wondering if Rocco's point will be dismissed.

Mason's gaze is steely when he meets Rocco's eyes. "Then stay here and take your chances with Grayson. No one is making you go, but this is the plan."

Rocco doesn't break eye contact, but he doesn't argue anymore either. I don't know the area well enough to fall on either side of the disagreement, but I know that we need to get to the keepers soon, and we're here already. At this point, that counts for more than anything else.

Mason plucks large green flowers from the base of a nearby tree and hands one to each of us. "These," he says, gesturing to the flowers before continuing, "will suction to your face when we get close to the smoke. When they're on, they work like a filter so you don't choke on the fumes. The downside is that we won't be able to talk to each other. The three hand signs we'll use to communicate are for stop, run and watch out. That's it." He demonstrates each gesture several times and then looks at all of us. "Any questions?"

None of us says anything as we each take our green flower from Mason's outstretched hand. I rest my hand on my side and look towards the smoke in the distance. I'm not looking forward to this journey, but I'm not sure whether it's navigating the dangers to get to where Mason thinks we'll be moderately safe or if it's seeing the keepers again, knowing what I know, that is causing the ache in my stomach. I miss Ryan.

Mason looks over his shoulder as we walk, as though he can read my mind, he says, "You'll see him soon enough, Queenie. We're getting you out of here, one way or another."

As we approach the smoke, Mason goes over the three hand signals one more time before we all put on our green flower filters. It sticks hard to my face, creating a firm seal and I wonder whether these flowers are actually designed to consume some form of prey. The suction is incredible and a little uncomfortable. Mason didn't teach us a sign for 'okay' though, so when he looks at me, I just nod my head in return.

I'm surprised to find I can breathe just fine, and as we start to navigate the slick black rock through the thick smoke, I am glad for the filter. I carefully place one foot in front of the other and I wish, not for the first time, that Mason wasn't dressed all in black. He blends in so well with the rocks and the smoke that it's hard to make him out, even just a few feet from me. I squint and watch his hands as he points out places to avoid. I don't look at Rocco, Riven or Clara for fear of losing Mason.

Ahead of Mason, a geyser goes off and he signals for us all to wait. Hot lava sprays out in every direction, and I'm sure a few splotches land close to Mason's feet. He doesn't flinch or shift out of the way. Nerves of steel.