Just let me go - Part 2

"How did you even know about this place?" I ask.

I look around the cave, amazed that he knew just which boulder to move as the storm started to take hold. The wind was ferocious and I feared that we'd be picked up and thrown around. I had often hidden in the base of a nearby tree when the storms came, but I had never felt safe or secure.

"I know a lot about the First Realm. It's been my stomping grounds more than any other realm. This is one of the best and worst places you could have landed: No people, but lots of creatures," Mason says while readying the cave for sleep.

"You remember all your lives here?" I ask.

"Hannah?"

I turn to look at him, expecting an answer to my question. Instead, he just shakes his head again.

"We're not friends, Hannah. We aren't going to be friends. No personal questions allowed," he says.

"I'm just supposed to stay silent until we miraculously end up back in the Third Realm?"

"It's not going to be a miracle." He moves around the cave gathering sticks and small pieces of wood. It's almost pitch black and what little light hasn't been obscured by the storm will be gone soon. His frame is tense when he turns back to me. "If it was as simple as a miracle, it would be a lot easier to accomplish."

I don't remember him having so much hostility towards me on the Second Realm, in fact, I would have said that once he switched his allegiance, he was civil, if not even a little kind.

"So, can you at least tell me how that's going to work, then? I can't just click my heels and transport back?" I ask.

He rolls his eyes and blows all his breath out in a rush. "If I didn't know why I agreed to do this, I'd be questioning my sanity right about now."

I fall silent, even though I want to ask what's so wonderful that he came back to the First Realm and agreed to be my protector when it's starting to become pretty obvious that he doesn't like me.

"You're not my biggest fan."

His expression is guarded, but he admits, "No." He flashes me a sardonic smile. "I actually run the Anti-Hannah Fan Club."

"Must have a lot of members. People who don't like me seem to outnumber those that do." I can't help but laugh a little. "This'll be fun!" I give a fake cheerleader clap and use my best valley girl voice.

"I've had worse jobs. I suppose when you have two of the most powerful people on any of the realms rooting for you, it doesn't matter about the Anti-Hannah club," Mason says.

At the mention of Ryan and Maizie, I feel my spirit deflate. I miss them both so much. I don't need to ask him why he doesn't like me. I'm pretty sure his reasons have to do with the lies I told on the Second Realm and, even though I'm now stuck here with him, I don't regret what I did. 

But, there are moments, when thoughts of Ryan sneak in; the world closes in around me, and I can't breathe. I can't let my mind stray to him very often. I'm pulled into a spiral that doesn't help me survive here. When I'm alone, fighting to live, there isn't a lot of time to contemplate how I arrived here, the mistakes I made. In that way, I wonder whether having Mason around is going to be helpful or just cause me to think about all the places I would rather be.

"I'll take this side of the cave," I say, walking far away from him.

"Fine by me." He moves over to push the boulder tight, eliminating the last rays of light. Over his shoulder, he calls, "Night Queenie."

I close my eyes and wish for heat, the soft light of a fire. In the darkness, I finger the scar on my chest, the permanent reminder of what I lost and what I need to regain. Just before I drift to sleep, I feel a faint warmth caressing my back, reminding me that I'm not alone anymore.