Chapter 5 - Shock

Dedicated to steffiin, your two words of encouragement made me write this chapter (: thank you!

**********

Chapter 5

 Life truly screwed me up. Every time I tried to stand on my two feet, to move on, to get a grip on life, to control it before it controlled me , I was pulled right back into the darkness. Every morning I get up with a hope that today is going to be a better day and that I will face life with all my strength. Every morning I wear my shield, pick up my sword and go head on into the battle with life. But as luck has it, I never won. In fact I lost everything.

I dragged myself along the hallways; I could hear the whispers around me. I could see people pointing at me and laughing.

Being a nerd has its own perks, you get to be a nobody, and I loved being a nobody. So after today’s mornings episode I was the talk of the school and I hated that. At a distance I could see the janitor trying to save my locker. He glanced at me and sadness washed through him. I was all used to the sad looks thrown in my direction.

I felt a hand on my shoulder

“Hey Jake, you okay?” I heard the familiar arrogant voice

I turned around to find Dylan smirking at me, and his sidekicks alongside him, Seth, Roger, Kyle and even Ethan was present. People were usually intimidated by Dylan and his sidekicks, but I didn’t’ feel even a slight bit intimidated. Dylan reached around the same height as mine, he was a bit muscular than me which were the perks of being a quarterback. 

“What happened? Why so glum?” he spoke with a teasing tone while his sidekicks burst out in laughter except for Ethan.

His hand was still on shoulder.

“Remove your paws off me” I spoke with anger etched in my voice.

My sudden response not only surprised me but even Dylan’s face formed an O, shock written all over his face. I never replied to the mad man’s taunts ever, but well, today was a first. For a second my eyes darted from Dylan to Ethan and I think I saw a smile creeping up his lips.

Dylan barked “Look at me geek”, that guy had the brains of a Chihuahua.

 “What did you say?”

Before I could respond, our meeting was interrupted by the bell. I turned around to walk off, but not before I heard Dylan scream “This ain’t over Scott.”

I didn’t feel the need to respond, I had a class to attend. As much as I loved calculus, Mr. Chariziyo was a very difficult teacher to deal with. And I didn’t want to be late for his class

Luckily when I entered the class our calculus professor was nowhere to be seen. And the class was occupied by only the meticulous, hard working, enduring….. Oh who am I kidding, the class was occupied by only the nerds- who even had their books ready on the table- up till now even though the bell had rung long before. Don’t get me wrong even I’m a nerd it’s just that I’m not that kind of nerd who rushes early to class just to get a front chair.

Oh yes, you are, spoke my sub conscious mind.

No I’m not, I retorted. And now I was having a full to internal debate with my sub conscious, and my sub conscious was totally thrashing me in the debate. Due to my debate episode I didn’t realize that I was still standing in the doorway until I noticed a few heads turned my way. I quickly excused myself and rushed to the seat in the corner of the class.

The jocks being the jocks always entered the class 10 minutes after the bell rung. So when the door was pushed open, I knew it was them.

“Here we are” Seth roared while the others just giggled behind him. I noticed that even Abigail was standing next to Seth, even though all his Muppets laughed and giggled at everything that came out of his mouth; Abigail’s face had a frown drawn over it.

Seth took a quick scan of the room and his eyes landed on me. He had a smirk plastered all over his face. He started taking large strides coming in my direction and eyed the seat next to me. But before he could plomp down, everything happened in a swift manner and now Abigail was occupying the seat next to me. She looked at him coolly and spoke with authority in her voice.

“Go take a seat somewhere else”

Seth was pissed but he had no choice but to oblige since she is the girl of his maggot Dylan. So he took a seat in the front next to Maria, Maria was more than happy to have him next to her, because now they can flirt their way through class.

And then something appalling happened, in my entire life in this school and having the same class with her for as long as I can remember, Abigail spoke to me for the first time.

“Hi, my name is Abigail”

I turned towards her and noticed that her hand was thrust forward for a handshake. I never had a problem with Abigail but she being the girlfriend of my only foe had its consequences.

“I know” I responded and looked forward, ignoring her hand. She pulled her hand backwards and I think I noticed a smidge of hurt in her eyes.

“Hey Jake, I’m sorry about Dylan… he just doesn’t know his boundaries”

The whole morning episode replayed in my head. “Ya I’m sure you’re really sorry” I replied with sarcasm.

“What was that about? I said i am genuinely sorry. I’m trying to be polite here” she spoke with a hint of anger in her tone.

“I’m sure you and you’re puppets were having a good laugh” I responded, anger getting the most of me.

“I should have just let Seth sit here”

“Ya you should have”

The rest of the class went with neither of us trying to even look at each other. Mr. Chariziyo entered the class a good 15 minutes late. He mumbled something about grades and exams and then continued to teach from where he had left off.

“Abigail please meet me after class” Mr. Chariziyo spoke with authority.

After the bell rang, I packed m things and stood up to leave the class. I could hear the arguments going between Abigail and Mr. Chariziyo

“……..But sir, this is not possible……”

“……..I’m sorry dear but now it’s up to you”

“What am I going to do now?”

“I suggest you get a tutor, ask one of the students to teach you”

“Who?” Abigail spoke with worry written all over her face.

At that moment Mr. Chariziyo’s head turned towards me and a smile formed on his lips and I knew what was coming in my direction.

 ****************

vote, comment, follow (: