Chapter 7 - Movie night

Not edited

Chapter 7

What does she think of herself. I mean I am the one who is supposed to help her but her attitude made it seem like I was the one who was failing calculus. Screw her. She can go fend for herself with that imprudent, reckless boyfriend of hers . I don’t care if she fails.

 But then why was I feeling so guilty.

 “Jake to earth” Nate spoke with a robotic voice

 “Hmmm…”

 “Yo Jakey!”

 “……..”

 “Jake I think we should make out”

 “Hmmm, Ya sure”

 “Diana I think he’s lost it”

 I was still hung over the conversation I had with Abigail. My mind wasn’t wrapping over the fact that I could have helped her but still didn’t. It was unlike me. This isn’t how I usually am. I was deep in thought when I felt someone push my hands away from my lap and my lap was now occupied by Nate’s body. He was sitting on me, his eyes closed and his pouting lips a mere inches away from me.

 Shocked. Even that didn’t describe how I was feeling. I jumped off the couch throwing him down in the process. I could hear Diana laughing her ass out standing in the doorway that connected the kitchen to the living room with one hand inside the Ruffles bag and the other clutching it.

 “Oh………...My………God………Your Face!” she spoke in between laughs “So priceless!”

 Nate was still sprawled on the floor mocking me with a Hurt expression “Is that how you treat me?! Jakey I thought we loved each other. What? You don’t like my body now?! ” Nate tried to sound as serious as possible.

 Diana’s laughter was now vibrating through the whole house.

 “What??!” was all I could come up with.

 That’s when Nate also joined Diana and both of them werehaving a laughter marathon.

 “Very funny” I spoke rolling my eyes at both of them. Children I tell you. Wait what was I then? Oh wait I’m a matured grown up teenager unlike these babies.

After I walked away from Abigail, I went into the parking lot trying to remember where Nate had parked his Jeep in the morning. It was a big blue jeep, hard to miss. I found it at the end of the lot with both the weirdoes sitting on the hood playing rock papers scissors.

 I replayed the whole conversation to them. Nate high fived me while Diana was quiet about the whole ordeal. We left for Nate’s place thereafter but not before we stopped at the departmental store to buy necessities required for movie night. Our Necessities mainly included Ruffles, Soda (Loads of it), toothpaste (I still don’t know why Nate needed them), candy, a big tub of cotton candy for Diana, and popcorn.

After the laughter died down we all sat on the couch, Diana occupied the place in-between me and Nate but not before Nate shoved her aside muttering “Go away! I want to sit next to my Jakey baby”. I tried not to be creeped out by that. Twelve years of knowing Nate and I still wasn’t used to his insanity. And that was the main reason why I called him my best friend. I trusted that guy with my life.

 Diana loved violence while Nate loved anything that had to do with comics. And since it was my night of choosing the movie I settled on ‘The dark knight rises’.  I inserted the CD into the record player, picked up the bowl of popcorn that Diana bought in before, sat back and pressed play.

 As the movie progressed our positions also kept changing, Nate moved from beside me to kneeling behind the couch his hands sprawled on the head of the couch while my legs were stretched on Diana’s lap who kept pushing them off her. Later Nate moved from behind the couch and was now sprawled on the floor while I was sitting upside down on the couch. Diana was the only one was sat constantly in one place throughout the whole movie.

 Towards the end of the movie, I was lying on the couch with my head on Diana’s lap and legs on the arm rest while Nate was sitting on the floor in between her legs.

 In the end when batman decided to sacrifice his life for the sake of the people of Gotham, Nate screamed “Nooooooooooooooooooo! Please don’t die! Please”

 “Oh, suck it up bro”

 Nate threw a dirty glance towards Diana and continued sobbing while clutching her legs tightly. She tried shaking off his hands but that just made him hold onto her even tighter.

 “Get your paws off me bro”

 “Shuuuusshhhhh!”

 My fist was in my mouth from trying to control my laughter seeing Nate.

 As soon as the movie ended Nate leaped up pulled Diana off the couch and started dancing while singing “He is not dead. Oh yeah! Yeah baby! He is not dead. I knew it” over and over again.

 Sitting on the couch and seeing these two, a smile creeping up my lips, I realized maybe my life ain’t that bad after all.

*********

comment

vote

follow

xx N