Memories

"Aaron! Will you play Barbie's with me?" little Rose asks her older brother with her big blue doe eyes. Aaron, at twelve years old, really didn't like playing girly games but despite his dislike for the silly dolls he sat with his little sister and pretended to be Ken. He was one of those brothers that had no shame in playing or spending time with his sister. She was so small for her age and he felt that she was like glass; easily broken. She had always been easily upset and a total klutz always having a bruise here and there. He looked to their mother who sat on the small bed that belonged to her daughter she had been packing two duffle bags. Aaron had been watching his mother pack clothes, food, a considerable amount of cash, and a small wooden box with carvings all over the sides and a heavy lock on the small box's side. The key to that box was hanging on a chain underneath Aaron's shirt.

"You may now kiss the bride!" Rose happily giggled as she leaned her doll towards the Ken doll in Aarons hand. Right as the plastic lovebirds lips were about to meet a pounding and unintelligible yelling came from the front door. The doll's were now forgotten as Rose raced to the door. As she was about to run out of the door her big brother caught her arm and pulled her to the bed where their mother was siting with a knowing and horrified look as she glanced to her children. She quickly finished putting things in the bags and grabbed Aaron's hand and took him away from Rose to explain what was happening. Rose craned her neck to try and hear what her mother was saying she caught a small snippet of she was saying.

"You must protect Rose 'The men' are after her. Rose's curiosity is going to get her hurt you need to keep her hidden, she's smart and persistent. You must not tell her anything about what's happening, make up a lie if you must. I know you can do this don't forget what I told-" she was interrupted by a big bang and the sound of boots slowly walking across their foyer and into the kitchen probably searching for the small little Rose who now had fat tears rolling down her flushed cheeks. The children's mother kissed their foreheads and hugged them to her chest tight for the last time tears falling into their hair off her cheeks. She tossed the bag's out of their window to her awaiting son. She placed Rose on the window seal and kissed her forehead one last time and looked into her eyes. As rose smiled up at her sweet, selfless mother she saw great pain flash in her eyes as she heard a loud bang. And as the color drained out of her cheeks so did the life out of her eyes. And with weak, trembling hands she pushed her daughter into the arms of her waiting son.

"Run." she whispered hoarsely. She collapsed onto the white carpet a red stain already forming. And looking up as Aaron ran away with her on his back, trough the window she saw the man. He was standing glaring at her dead mother. Right before she lost sight of him he looked strait up into her eyes and an evil smirk crossed his face. She stared into his icy grey eyes as her brother carried on running.