Chapter Twelve (Part Two) (Third Person)

A man peered through the trees. The man was wearing a grey and green cloak that blended perfectly into the background. His face was shrouded in shadows underneath the hood of his cloak.

The gestured to the man behind him. The second man was wearing a black cloak, and in the shadows of the trees hid him from the view of anyone who could have been watching.

The second man walked over to the first one as quietly as he could. The first man pointed out to where he had been looking between the trees.

The second man looked at it and his expression got slightly worried. He looked to the first man, but the other man showed no sign of worry or discomfort.

"Let's get what we came here for," the first man whispered. Then, he silently moved away through the forest to the clearing. He melted into the background, and his presence was no more than a a slight breeze passing by.

The second man walked in a different direction, sticking to the shadows of the trees as he weaved through them.

~°~

The man notched an arrow and pulled back the string. He kept his breathing steady as he took aim and released. There was a twang! And a few seconds later, there was a thud.

~°~

The guard could hear something zip by close to her ear. A black arrow lodged itself in a tree nearby. She spun around, her bow suddenly at full draw, but no one was there.

The other guards were walking along their routes, but no one was facing her at that moment. She looked around frantically, looking for a person that could've shot the arrow.

She opened her mouth to alert the others, but she didn't have time to yell out to them as something hard hit the back of her head.

She fell silently to the ground, unconscious.

~°~

The man quietly knocked out the two closest girls.

The man knew that the defense strategy they had set up was smart. They made it so that every guard had to people in sight of each other so that they'd know if something happened to one of them. The man had had to time it perfectly, but he had only bought so much time.

He watched as someone walked out from the edge of the forest; the other man—the one in the black cloak. He seemed like a shadow as he quietly ran through the grass of the clearing.

The new man ran through the space where the three guards used to be. He ran to the center of the ring, where a single tree grew. What the two men wanted was in that tree, just a little higher than the man could reach. He couldn't jump for risk of making too much noise.

He pulled himself up by a branch. He swung up onto the branch. He reached for what he wanted and closed his hand around the most accessible part before slowly pulling it out from the tree's branches and leaves.

He started to climb out of the tree, but he didn't; there was a sound. The man in the black cloak quickly pulled himself back into the tree, and the man with the green and grey one stood as still as he possibly could.

A guard had let out a startled yelp as she saw a fallen guard near her. A similar yelp was heard from one other guard. They alerted the other guards, and they were all suddenly looking around for whoever had knocked out the three other guards.

A plan formed in the first man's head. He unstrung his bow and notched an arrow. The guards eyes were drawn to the movement. The man shot two arrows before darting off into the woods. The guards lingered for a moment unsure of what to do, but when a blunt edged arrow hit one guard in the head, knocking them unconscious with the force of the blow, they all ran off after the man into the woods.

~°~

The other man stared off in the direction that the man in the grey and green cloak and all of the guards had just gone. He soon shook out of it, reminding himself that he had a job to do, and he wasn't going to fail at it.

He jumped out of the tree, with what he had wanted still in his grip, and ran off in the direction he came from.

~°~

The man ran silently, stopping to shoot arrows and to let them catch glimpses of him every once in a while.

After a little while, he stopped doing this and moved on a different track, in the general direction that the black cloaked man had went in.

~°~

The guards were confused. Were had the green and grey cloaked man went?

Then the realization hit them.

They had been tricked!

~°~

The man in the green and grey cloak felt a small moment of triumph, but he pushed it back down. He knew that this wasn't over yet. There was still one more obstacle.

~°~

The man in the black cloak ran at full speed through the trees, but he stopped when he saw her. She saw what he had in his hand, and she raised her bow and aimed.

Uh oh, the man thought.

~°~

The man in the grey and green cloak aimed and shot in one movement. A black arrow lodged itself into the tree next to the girl. She immediately spun around to face the man, aiming her bow at the man in the green and grey cloak and away from the one in the black cloak. She released, but the man dodged the arrow.

The girl released a series of arrows, but the two men dodged each of them. The man in the green and grey returned shots. After a little while of this, the man with green and grey cloak made his way over until the man in the black cloak was directly behind him, and the girl was in front of him. The girl shot an arrow at him, but in sink, both men reacted.

The man with the grey and been cloak bent down to one knee as the man in the black cloak jumped up. The man in the grey and green cloak put out his hands like he was giving someone a lift up and the man with the black cloak landed his feet in his hand. The man with the black cloak jumped again and the man with the grey and green cloak pushed his foot, giving him some extra night in his jump. The man in the black cloak flipped over the girl and landed on his feet behind her before breaking out into a full out run through the woods.

~°~

The man in the green and grey cloak and the girl fought, shooting until they were out of arrows. Then, they got out a set of knives each and started fighting with each.

~°~

A horn blew. Everyone froze. Someone had won.

Who was it?

~°~

The man in the black cloak jumped over the creek and into friendly territory. He planted what he had got into the ground. A horn blew, signalling the end.

They had won capture the flag.