Chapter 6: New Friends and Rituals

-----------the next day, after nightfall------------

Stella came this morning and said we were going to do special night training. Curtis and I were waiting on the roof. She finally came and took us to the same place that we usually train.

Once we landed and Stella turned into her human form, I heard something that sounded like a struggle in the forest.

"Hey, do you guys hear that?" I asked Curtis and Stella.

"Yeah." Curtis answered.

"Let's go." Stella told us, then ran in the direction the sound was coming from. Curtis and I followed. We finally came to where the voice was coming from.

There was a creature that looked like a hyena that was the size of a full grown bear fighting another creature that looks like a giant decaying deer that was standing on its hind legs and its front two legs went all the way down to the ground. It had hands with long, sharp claws on its front legs and was about eight feet tall.

"Wendigo. Stay here!" Stella whisper-yelled, then bolted over to the fight. The giant deer looked at her.

"Well, well, well~. Look what we have here~." It said in a woman's voice. "I remember you." Stella started to spark.

"I knew it. You're that same one." The giant hyena tried to attack the Wendigo, but it caught the hyena before it could.

"I'll kill you for what you did!" The hyena exclaimed, also with a girl's voice and a Swahili accent, trying to claw the Wendigo. (A/N: I can't write in a Swahili accent. I tried. I just can't do it.)

"Get in line." Stella grew out her talons. The Wendigo smelled the air.

"There's others here." It said, then threw the hyena.

"Don't even try it." Stella and the hyena both charged at the Wendigo. It dodged the both of them, then started running towards Curtis and I. It picked us up and stared at us.

"My, my~. You both look delicious~." It told us as it started digging its claws in our flesh. I could feel my blood coming out. Stella ran over and bit its ankle, ripping out a chunk of its leg. The Wendigo fell over and one of the claws slashed my stomach open. I managed to wiggle outta it's grip and saw my guts about to fall outta me.

I held them in with my hand and went to help Curtis. Stella was hacking and slashing at the Wendigo. Then the hyena joined in. It bit the hand that held Curtis and the Wendigo let him go. We went back into the trees and I saw a bleeding gash across Curtis' face that went right above his eye. He held his eye shut tightly and I looked back at the fight.

Stella and the hyena were merciless. Viciously hacking and slashing at it. The Wendigo finally knocked the both of them off it and quickly fled, revealing two bodies on the ground. The hyena walked over to the bodies and I noticed they looked the same. The hyena then transformed into a girl.

She looked like an African girl with dark brown hair and was wearing a reddish brown dress with dark brown spots. The girl fell to her knees, put her face in her hands and started crying. Curtis walked over to her and crouched down next to her.

"Hey, it's okay." He said, trying to comfort her.

"No it's not!" She snapped, looking at Curtis. "My parents were both just murdered by that thing!"

"I know how you feel." Stella told her. The girl looked at Stella. "That thing's called a Wendigo. She killed my mother out of jealousy. She wanted my father, so she decided to kill my mother to get to him."

"What's your name?" Curtis asked the hyena girl.

"Enzi." She answered.

"Enzi, we're going to help you." Stella told her. Enzi looked at her. "You have a grudge towards the Wendigo and so do I. We can help you." Enzi started digging. Stella walked over to her and started digging with her. What're they doing?