Chapter 6

NEGAN'S DAUGHTER
Chapter Six
"Even The Strongest People Struggle"

I picked up Carl in my grasp, surprisingly it was easy to lift him, but I struggled a little due to the fact blood was pouring out of him. I rushed him into the bathroom and pulled out yet another first aid kit. This one was different, though, for he had more than measly bruises. He had large wounds that if couldn't be tended to the right way would cause him to parish.
I took out the large bandages and some ointment I made when I was in med classes. Which, now that I think about it, was so long ago. And yet I still kept this. And it healed, too, I got to test it on myself and a few others.

I realized the biggest wound was on his side, and I couldn't bear to see what was underneath his shirt. But I pulled it up only to wear the bash ended and almost threw up. In front of me was one of the most gruesome things I'd ever seen. It was still a normal stomach, but the side was covered in guts and blood. He would need stitches. Good I took classes for medical attention.
I took the needle and thread out of a sewing kit to the side and began to start. I held his torn skin tightly together and he began to breath slower. I had to do this now.
I did it swiftly, not even sure really how to, and in my thoughts I only thought of hope. I stuck the needle through the open gutty skin, hitting a few intestines but continuing. I finished slowly and scooted back to see how it looked. It looked awful, disgusting, but the stitching helped a lot. There was a lot less blood and it seemed okay.
I wrapped it carefully in bandages and pulled back down his shirt, beginning to tend to the other wounds. Another big gash was in leg, it wasn't as bad as the stomach but it was pretty bad and looked very painful. I wasn't too sure what to do about it, so I only rolled up hid pant leg and dabbed a few drops of the pain healer on it and wrapped it up. I turned to his shoulder, which I felt completely baffled about. It was infected badly, yellow puss pouring out making me gag. I scooted to it carefully and knew I would need something much stronger than just medicine and bandages. I would need a syringe.
I put my head down to his chest and felt his heart beat increase into it's normal rate, I began to quickly slip out of the room. I peeked out, making sure her father wasn't there, and snuck out of the room. I searched the halls, dark and dusty, and at some point I ended up at the doctor's room.
But Mindy, the "doctor" was in there.

"Mindy?" I muttered walking in, causing her eyes to find mine.

"Hi Salem, how's your head?" She asked softly.

"It's.. fine.." I said beginning to feel a small bit of pain. "But... I need to ask you for a huge favor."

"What is it?" Mindy asked happily without hesitation.

"I need to borrow the syringe."

Then she hesitated. "Why, honey?"

"For my best friend."

"Named...."

"Carl. You fixed up his shoulder." I explained.

"Oh......" she said, her voice wavered. "Well, uhm.... your dad wouldn't like that...."

"I don't care," I said, my voice boomed through the echoing room. "He's in pain, bad pain. Daddy hit him with Lucille."

"He's not dead?" Mindy asked, grabbing the syringe and a large bag.

"No, but he will be soon if I don't get him the right medical needs."

"Then I'll come, and I'll fix him." Mindy said.

I didn't want her doing this, she was a snitch. She pretended to love me and all, but deep down I knew she'd tell my dad every word. Maybe if I convinced her enough I could be trusted she wouldn't say anything. That still, I guess, wouldn't change much since my dad always found out about everything through Dwight. He found out somehow. Always.

"Fine," I mumbled, since she already looked prepared.

I lead her through the halls to the room, and once I entered the bathroom my heart skipped a beat. There was my dad! He was using a knife to cut into Carl's hand, not the palm but then back side, and he just put little scars. And Carl was awake, too. And when he caught my gaze he looked shocked as well.

My dad turned around and smiled at me and Mindy. "Well, well," he said. "Trying to help this poor little boy. You've got more to fix. Mindy, get over here!" He said, pulling her along with him. She dropped her bag right beside my left foot and gave me a wink as she was rushed out the door by my dad.
All I heard after that was screams and a skull being crushed repeatedly.

I fought back tears as I quickly locked the bathroom door and ran to Carl with the bag grasped in my hand.
"Salem, please just leave me...." he mumbled softly fighting back tears from pain.

"I am not, and I will never leave you!" I said, taking the needle and the rest of the thread to stitch up his hand.
He tenses up when I got out the syringe.

"Don't worry, I took medical classes. I know exactly what I'm doing."

"Are you sure?" He asked through sorrow.

"Of course I am." I said, reassuring him the best I could. "I healed a snake bite once like this."

I took the syringe and placed it on the yellow puss, it entered the syringe and I placed it in a small bucket. I continued to do this until only scraps of yellow were left. He winced every time I placed it there, but it seemed to really help. I could finally see the skin underneath, it was gutty and full of blood and meat.
I wrapped bandages around it tightly and as I finished a booming knock came on the door.

"Salem!" It shouted, it was my dad, and his voice sounded croaky and broken.

I unlocked the door as Carl sat up against the bare wall.

My dad rushed in and slammed the door behind him, he stared into the bitterness eyes of Carl and then looked at me. His heart was heavy, and I knew he felt terrible.

"Just kill me now...." Carl mumbled.

My dad didn't have Lucille with him. Instead, he pulled me into a big hug.

"Don't..." I said, but he cut me off.

He whispered in my ear, "Even the strongest people struggle."