Chapter 4

NEGAN'S DAUGHTER
Chapter Four
"I Know How To Crack You Now"

Our lips disconnected when I heard my father grunt. I turned to him, and so did Carl, with wide, afraid eyes.

My dad gave me fierce eyes and a crooked frown. "Salem!" He shouted. "Get your ass in the closet right now and stay there!"

"No!" I shouted back. "You hurt him. He's the same age as me! Would you hurt me?"

"I would if I could!" He shouted, and my heart suddenly broke into a million pieces.

Having a shattered heart very my effected my ways, I was insecure already, and this boy had made me feel better, and now my dad was going to take him away from me.
His eyes softened, but his frown didn't.

"Salem...."

"Just leave me alone!" I cried with my hands clutched tightly in fists. My head fell into Carl's lap and I began to sob. Tears just fell out, and I couldn't control them. I felt Carl's warm hand touch the back of my neck, and it calmed me somewhat, but I still cried.

I didn't know what my dad was doing, by in the blackness I was in on Carl's lap, it seemed he just stood and watched it happen.
I rose my head up, and Carl gave me heart broken eyes.

"Are you okay?" He whispered softly.

I stood up from him and saw how wet I had gotten him, I eyed my dad at the door who stood with a smirk.

"Go to your closet," he said once again, but this time not as harsh. "I know how to crack you now."

"No...." I whispered. "No!"

Suddenly Dwight came from behind me and took my arms and held them steady. My dad laughed and Carl looked petrified once more. My dad practiced aiming his bat at Carl's head.

"No!" I screamed. "Don't hurt him, please! Please!" I continued to scream, but Dwight's grasp was tight and my father had made up his mind.

My dad took Carl by the arm and sat him on the ground. It looked as if it did the night he was near the RV. On his knees, bravely. He said nothing, but I knew his mind was completely baffled with thoughts, as was mine. But I knew what I wanted, and I wanted it now.

Thinking fast, my fangs stabbed deeply into Dwight's hand, he cried out and just as my dad's bat was nearing towards Carl, I pushed Carl out of the way.
I felt a sharp bang on the side of my head, and blood splattered on the side of my face. I saw Carl with widened eyes and blood on the side of his face. He touched my shoulder, and I felt him shake me as my eyes closed.

I heard my dad scream.

Then everything went black.

❌❌❌❌❌❌❌❌❌❌❌❌❌❌❌

{Carl's POV}

My head was full of thoughts as a bat was aimed at my head. I remembered Abraham, I remembered what he did to all these innocent people.
And now that shit was about to happen to me. I felt the bat's shadow rise above my head, and before I knew it as I was pushed out of the way and the bat was slammed into Salem's head. My thoughts flushed away and my mind grew blank, baffled, and I stared with wide eyes at Salem. Half of her head, bashed, and her eyes locked on mine. She gave me a pathetic, weak smile that made a tear fall down my pale cheeks.

"SALEM!!" Negan shouted, his voice shaking and for the first time he had cracked. In front of me. "Dwight, take this kid far away! Let Salem never lay her precious eyes on his soul! Keep him in Daryl's cell, and put Daryl to work. And get the doctor! Now!"

Dwight picked me up by the arm and I struggled to get free, I pushed him away and ran to Salem's bleeding head. I muttered out words, but Negan took Lucille and scraped it across my shoulder, it cutting deep into my skin. I let out a painful scream, and Negan just growled at me.

"Get him out of here!" Negan shouted once more, and Dwight picked me up and took my hands into his grasp. Tightly.

"SALEM!" I shouted, tears running down my cheeks, I shouted her name again.

"Shut up, asshole!" Dwight said and pushed me into a dark room, I slammed against the wall and held my shoulder in pain.

Tears flew down my cheeks fast, and I wouldn't and couldn't let them stop. Salem was dead, I knew she was. And I couldn't handle it. I kissed her, but why? Why? I had Enid, and that's all I needed. But.... maybe it wasn't.

~

I don't know how long it had been, maybe a week, before I saw sunlight. They passed me canned-dog-food sandwiches that I ate only because it was the only thing I had, and they came in one day and took my hat. My hat my dad gave me. I let out more tears.

~

It had been three weeks and four days since I saw sunlight. My greasy hair was matted against my wet face as the door swung open. A man grabbed onto my arm and dragged me trough the halls.

A door swung open and I was led into a room and sat on a chair. I didn't say anything, for there was morning to say, when Negan walked into the room.

The room was dark and whispers of wind snuck through the window peaks. I snarled at Negan, who only gave me a small smirk.

"Is she....."

"She's fine, shit bag," he said. "Skull and brain damage, yes; but thankfully my reflexes stopped me from really damaging her like I would've to you. You're lucky."

"How's that?" I asked as sweat poured down my face. I licked it off my chapped lips and they burned from the wetness.

"She loves you...." Negan said, his eyes this time not filled with bitterness but jealousy. "When she first woke up she wanted you."

For some reason, I felt like Negan actually cared for me for once. He was subtle, and maybe not a very bad person after all. He cared for his daughter, so why not care for me?

"Tell ya what, kid. Why don't we get that shoulder patched up?"

"Its infected," I said lifting my shirt over the wound and staring at the seeping pus.

"We all are, son." Negan muttered under his breath as he took my arm and led me to the doctor.

Why the hell is he being so nice to me?