Chapter 5 - Death in the Air

"Are you going to tell me what this is about, or are we going to continue to walk in silence?" Shadow asked the bat in front of him.

They had been walking in silence ever since they said their farewells to the others. Shadow was getting a little impatient with Rouge.

She didn't acknowledge his question and continued walking. She seemed to be in deep thought and not focused on her surroundings. Having enough with being kept in the dark, Shadow stopped walking and stood there, arms crossed.

"Rouge." He said sternly, waiting for a response.

"It's just a bit further, Shadow," Rouge replied, not looking back at him. She seemed... worried.

She's hiding something. Shadow thought to himself. She continued to walk and Shadow followed her, though at a little distance. While they walked, Shadow took note of their change in surroundings. They now had walked to a less populated and more enclosed part of the city. It was almost high noon by now. Once they were out of view from the rest of society, Rouge stopped, but still wouldn't look at him.

"Rouge?" Shadow asked, slowly walking towards her.

"Forgive me, Shadow..." Rouge apologized, turning her body to look at him. Shadow stopped confused.

Before he could respond, something hard hit him on the back of his head. He fell to the ground, unconscious.

Shadow's eyes flickered open to a stone room above him

Shadow's eyes flickered open to a stone room above him. A massive throbbing pain came to the back of his head. He sat up and tried to put a hand on his head, but a pressure grew on his wrists. He looked at them and saw that he had cuffs from G.U.N. around his wrists. He immediately stood up and noticed that he was in one of the cells located in the G.U.N. HQ.

"What? But... how? How did I end up here?" Shadow asked to no one in particular. He made his way to the cell bars, of which were made of lasers. He looked out the bars and saw a guard posted nearby. He seemed to be doing a parameter check. The black hedgehog gritted his teeth. "Why am I here?". He turned around and sat on the bed provided in the cell. He stayed silent as he glared out the bars. The footsteps got closer and soon the guard was right outside Shadow's cell. The guard looked at the hedgehog and then turned away and activated his communicator.

        "Sir, the prisoner, Shadow the Hedgehog, is awake." The guard said, emotionless. There was a pause and then the guard replied a simple "yes, sir" before opening Shadow's cell. The hedgehog got up and walked over, still holding a stern expression. Closing the cell behind them, the guard started escorting Shadow to outside the prison. The hedgehog recognized the paths they took and noticed that the guard was taking him to the control room. They met a pair of guards at the final door. They requested the key card of the escorting guard.