Chapter 3- Why

The next morning, I wake up in the same room. "Good morning." I jump. I turn around and see Justin. I give him a weird look. "When did I get here?" I nod. "A while ago." I continue the weird look. "Why am I here?" I nod again.

It's like this guy knows exactly what I'm thinking. "I told you I'd be here to check up on you. Plus, I wanted to apologize." I raise an eyebrow. "For yesterday. I shouldn't have asked you that question. It wasn't my place." I nod, and shrug, trying to say it happens. He didn't know.

"Well, you are to stay at my house. It took a lot of persuading and yelling but I got the Alpha to agree." I smile. He's sweet.

"Here," he reaches into a bag and gives me a hoodie. "It'll be big on you but... It's cold out." I nod and put it on over my head.

I look over to see him wide eyed. Right... Totally forgot I was naked under the hospital gown. I blush and hide my face. "It's fine. It never happened." I nod.

That's the most embarrassing thing ever. God.

"Okay, well, I'll go check you out... Um... Here's some pants." He said, handing me a pair of sweatpants. "And socks." He also handed me some black socks. I nod to say thank you and wait until he leaves. I try to stand to put on the sweat pants, but fall in the process.

Wow, I'm really weak. I haul my way back up to the bed and slip on the sweat pants. They're huge one me, but they have a tie. I pull the tie as far as it will go and slide on the socks. I try to stand again, but this time I use the end for support. The sweatpants go way past my feet.

I guess everything I'm wearing is his. Plus I'm short. I'm only five four. He looked to be six three.

For a werewolf, I'm short. Other she wolves were at least five seven if not that, they were taller. I was always self conscious of my height. I'd get picked on, but it was mostly friendly banter.

The door opens again. "Alright, ready to go?" I look over and see Justin again. He has his jacket on now. I nod, but point at my feet. "Right, no shoes." He walks over to me. He reaches for me but a flinch and sit on the bed. Slowly, I back away until I'm at the edge. My eyes are wide with fear. I still don't fully trust anyone here. They seem nice and friendly, but it could all be a front.

He bites his lip, and hangs his head in shame. "I won't hurt you. I was going to carry you... Since you don't have shoes. Sorry... I should've told you what I was doing." I look up at him. I crawled to the edge closest to him. He looks at me. I nod, telling him it's okay.

"Okay... I'm going to touch you now." I nod. He puts a hand on the small of my back, and one under my knees. He lifts me up like I weigh nothing, and holds me bridal style. I put my arms around his neck and he starts to walk.

Minutes later, I realize something. I feel protected in his hold, like he wouldn't let anything happen to me. I feel warm too, like a fuzzy kind of warm.

It's so weird.

I feel so safe and warm, I close my eyes, just for a while.

As soon as my eyes shut I feel tired. My body falls limp and my head falls onto Justin's chest. He tenses up for a moment, but soon relaxes.

Third Person POV

Justin continues walking. All of a sudden, the girls head rests on his chest.

Why does this feel so right? He thinks. Like this is supposed to happen? Like this is completely normal? For the rest of the walk home, he thought about that. How it felt. Like she was made for him to carry.

Once they got home, he walked up to the spare room he has. He set her down and covered her.

He thought back to how much Max didn't want her here.

Flashback

"Alpha?" Justin asked, waiting outside of Max's door. "Come in."

Justin walked into the office and sat in a leather chair. "Well? Anything." Max asked, impatiently. Justin sighed and shook his head. "She's mute." He stated. Max growled. "Of course! Why would anything ever go right?! Why would luck be on our side?" He said exasperatedly.

"What should we do with her?" Justin asked. "Just... Get her off this territory. Or better yet, the dungeons. She'd be at home there."

For some reason he couldn't place, this sarcastic comment made Justin furious. "How dare you." He spat. "She's been through hell! She wouldn't last a day by herself! How is she supposed to get a job much less a home without speaking?!" Justin shouted, standing up from his chair. Max slowly stood up as well. "I would watch your tone Beta." Max said lowly.

Justin growled. "She'll be staying with me." He said it as a done deal, not a suggestion. "The girl will be leaving, tomorrow." Max demanded. "I said," Justin started. "She'll be staying with me." Justin looked Max straight in the eye. Max sat down and rubbed his chin. Justin sat down as well.

"Why is this girls well being so important to you?" Max asked. Justin looked to his side, then back to his Alpha. "I don't know. I just... Don't think we should send a traumatized girl out into the world. I mean, the poor thing has never even shifted. No thanks to that prick of a hunter." Justin said.

He honestly had no idea why he felt the need to keep her safe. She's not his mate. He would have sensed that.

"Fine. But anything she does is on you." Max said. "She's under your care." Justin nodded. "Understood."

With that he got up and left.

End of flashback