Chapter 1 - A Bad Start

Kate's P.O.V.

I'm running and out of breath and cold air fills my lungs, and the bleeding from my arm is sure not making things any better. I run down dark corners hoping I can make my way back home and stop the bleeding before I black out, I see a shadow over my shoulder and I struggle to run even faster and suddenly I feel strange.

I hear laughing and feel an invisible force push me up against a brick wall and crack my head open in the process, I feel a sharp knife slowly cut its way into my neck and a dark figure starts cutting away at my arms."STOP!"

I manage to croak before bursting into tears knowing I have know way of escape. This is not the first time this happened to me! This is my recurring nightmare that gives me real pain and fills me with misery ''LET ME OUT!" I wake up with tears streaming down my face and the sun in my face, "Thank God its over"

I struggle to get out of bed but I force myself up, I put on my combat boots and head down the stairs. I just hope breakfast is going to be edible so I can form a stomach. I sit at the dinner table with the other orphans (I call them lost souls)

I take one look at my plate and find myself with soggy bread and I swear what looks like a cooked rat, I try my hardest not to let my insides out. "Kill me now please" I say under my breath as I leave the table, "Ms. Kate where do you think you are going?!" I turn around and the fat Ms. Vicker in her very tight white dress,"I just thought I might run out and rob a bank and kill people at random" "Not this time! You have an interview a couple, and I'm very determined to get you out my institute as soon as possible."

I throw my hands in the air and groan as I make my way down the hall to the interviewing room and sit across from the couple who wants to adopt me, but I highly doubt they will I'm not the most wanted teen because of my criminal record.

I watch them as they read my profile and see fear seep into their eyes and they slowly look up at me,"Well young lady you have.... quite the record but.. we don't think-" "I understand that I don't measure up to your standards so... you can leave." They rush out and scram for the door and I hear their car start and speed down the road, "Once again Kate Elizabeth you fail to leave and its going to cost you"

"OW!" She pulls me by my blonde hair and drags me up the stairs, forcing me into a dark room and locks the door on her way out."This should teach the monster to behave!" I bang on the door and fill myself up with so much anger, I pick up a chair and throw it against the wall smashing it. I run over to the window and brake it with my fist and climb out the window. I'm two stories high but manage my footing making my way to the roof.

I make walk to the gutter and slide down and make my way to the back, I look over a tomb stone and put a small weed over it and I start running. I climb the giant brick wall that's keeping me locked up here, and with tears streaming down my face and I run for what feels like miles.

Its dark and cold as I walk around a city I lived in my whole life and don't know a single thing about, I wipe the tears away from my face. I stay clear away from the freaks that roam the street and pass a group of druggies as they stare at me. "Hey there pretty lady where you headin'?" "None of you business you freak"

"Tsk tsk tsk.... wrong choice of words little lady, so I suggest you choose your next words carefully" he whispers in my ear."Well then my words are..... GET LOST!" I kick him in the crotch and make a run for it until one of his buddies grabs me by the arm. "LET GO OF ME YOU CREEP!"

"Well a girl like you with no manners better be taught some! Boy do I have a friend who could teach YOU a few" He gives me an evil grin with some missing teeth and takes be to the back of the alley, one of his buddies takes my own pocket knife from my pant and jabs deep it into my arm."Hey Zsasz! We have a little gift for you!" A man walks out of the shadows and he's covered with scares that seems be tallying something.

He walks up to me and smells my hair and sighs,"Ahhh... just what I need fresh meat." He slams me against a brick wall cracking my skull and knocking the air out me, he takes out his knife and slowly starts to cut at my arms and neck. I close my eyes hoping for all of this to stop happening, I hear screams and laughter and gun shots.

I see them aiming their guns at the roof and take this as my chance to run, with blood gushing out of arm it makes it harder to keep running.

I see a shadow flying over me and I make my why out of the alley and run into the street, I feel a huge force hit me sending me flying down the street. I then notice I've been hit by a car I just stare up at the night sky covered in blood and pass out.

Batman P.O.V.

I take out Zsasz and his friends and I climb up to the roof looking for the girl, I hear a crash and run to the street I see a car with a smashed window and the girl a few feet away covered in blood. I run to her and I frantically search for a pulse, I find it and gently hold her in my arms and signal the Batmobile to pick us up. I carefully place her in the car and start speeding back to the cave.

"Alfred have you medical supplies ready when I get home."

"What did you do now Master Bruce?"

"Not me a girl and with all the bleeding I suggest you be prepared"

"Right away sir."