Synchronicity II - Miku's POV Sense of Duty

Lillian, my faithful maid-in-waiting was the first one to act. She was trained as a female herbalist before her parents had decided she should follow her mother’s foot step as a maid-in-waiting. Gakupode was at her side, both pushed passed the crowd.

I don’t really understand why these people just stand and watch and do nothing but then again I’m just the same as them, crowned queen or not.

“Should we go and see?” Kaito who never left my side during the whole ceremony, suggested.

“You should,” mother’s sweet voice cut through the chatting. “Remember what I told you, “A queen should put most of her efforts to serve and bring harmony to the city””

I nodded, and then followed Kaito as he took the lead, guiding and kindly asking the crowd to give way.

The Mask felt heavy and itchy. I could feel it slowly harnessing my powers so it would not be used for evil but good. I had the urge to tear it off but mother’s voice echoed in my head telling me not to do so. I frowned and I knew no one would be able to see it behind the mask, so I guess that was one good thing.

Lillian and Gakupode were leaning over a young woman. Her dress was all frayed from age and colours begin to wear out. I took the closer look. The women was at her early adult hood, she was skinny and was as white at sheets of paper.

A sense of connection drew me closer and closer till I was on the floor cradling the poor girl’s head in my arms.

“You must save her…” Tears became visible for everyone to see.

People mattered amongst each other as they started to realize was our relationship. Soon there were angry clamor and jeers.

I stood on to my feet and flung out my hands, blue sparks mixed with green jumped violently.

“SILENCE!” I raised my voice and everyone one fell silent.

I turned back to Gakupode and Lillian as they checked her pulse and breathing. They both look back up at me giving me the signs that she’s in danger.

“Take her to the sanctuary,” I ordered them and then spoke in a mere whisper. “Please you must save her.”

Gakupode stared at me for one second with an unsure look on his face then exchange glances with Lillian who gently nodded her head in encouragement.  He wanted to protest but he couldn’t while I’m still in his presence with thousand people around to witness a scene.

Kaito swept my onee-chan* off the ground and into his arms.  I watched his finely built back as he followed Gakupode and Lillian to the sanctuary.  Before he went through the doors, Kaito smiled at me over his shoulder.  I kept my face straight and exchanged him an acknowledgeable nod.

The music began to play again. People were finally calmed down and forgotten the cursed princess. I swayed to the slow captive piece, in my father’s arms. It didn’t feel right as I changed from partner to partner. They were drunk, tipsy, and smell like stink. Worst of all I kept trampling onto their toes but they don’t seem to mind or wouldn’t dare to complain. I was horrible at this thing and I was very nervous with mother holding high hopes out for me.

On the final song I closed my eyes, picturing the deep sea blue eyes locked into mine, his mouth curved into a pure smile as the world around us froze. It ended my sweet little day dream when the final note stuck from a violin. I instantly let go of the Barrister of Tagonny prefecture. He read the sign and excused himself to the beverages shaking his head as he went.

People as commoners of royal servants left the court first while the higher classmen intended to stay till I had personally talked and invited them out.

It was not long to realize how difficult to become a queen, needing to face my subjects alone and needing Kaito most of the time to share the load though I know I am being unfair to him. Gosh, how I missed him now even if it was just few hours ago that I saw him. His gentleness and soothing voice could not only calm me down but also can take my breath away.

I impatiently ushered them to the doors until all there left was mother and father standing on the side watching the servants clear the table and wash the floor.

I ran past mother. In the corner of my eyes I could see her giving me a disproval stare which caused me to stop in my tracks and turn back. It was so much easier to read her expression with the mask off because she had no need to control her feelings before like the noblemen’s children, which was a skill to survive on in the world of status and wealth.

“Mother, is there something that I misjudged?” I asked politely trying to hid the impatience in my voice,

“It is not for me to say anymore but you must control your patience so you can judge more carefully,” she said.

I nodded and ran off the sanctuary where one of my dearest lies.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

onee-chan is the honorific for older sister in Japanese.

-chan is also a honorific at the end of a name or role but  a cute way to address someone and sometimes only use for close friends. eg. Usagi-chan = cute little bunny

Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not japanese but an otaku.