Chapter 12

Chapter 12|Defending the city we love

How could I not have seen it? I should have thought of it.

"Oh you're still trying to bring yourself to accept Derek's betrayal? Well I'll give you a minute to accept it before your change."

At the sound of his name, Derek turned to look at Aiden, his eyes were a strange encompassing black that turned his normally blue eyes including his pupils to a deep midnight black.

Logan suddenly pushed Derek away and ran towards me but suddenly Jenny spoke making him pause midway.

"Did you think that though Isla betrayed you without being unaware of it, she never betrayed you while being very aware? Then you're wrong, Isla and Aiden slept together!" She accused.

Logan looked shocked and he suddenly glanced at me.

"No its not true, it was just a... Aaaaaaargh!" I screamed as blinding pain filled my mind.

I didn't know how I got to the ground as excruciating pain like flames rushed all over my body. Aiden and Derek rushed to my side while Logan was held back by a guard. That was all I saw as my vision suddenly became shadowed. I felt it in my mind as someone tried to get control of my mind. I screamed again as the struggle I put up against the control hurt me.

"Don't fight it Isla. Don't fight your transformation into what nature really wanted you to be when she created you. Embrace it Isla or you'll die." Aiden's voice was very persuasive and without a second thought I found myself doing what he was saying. As soon as I did as he said for two seconds, I was taken over and my vision suddenly went black.

When I came to, Aiden was cradling me in his arms. I wanted to push myself away from him but another force compelled me to put my arms around his neck and kiss him against my will and I did.

"My queen." Aiden said pulling me to my feet.

"Do you want to explain what just happened?" I heard Logan ask.

I turned to look at him and felt him gasp. And though I had a sudden urge to cover my face, I looked at him boldly.

"If you want to know, then we'll tell you." Jenny said as she walked a circle around him.

"You see Aiden is basically half monster and half gracelings. His special ability is of course of the mind. When he kisses someone he transfers a kind of egg to them. Those eggs are the children of a very dominating Phoenix that lives in him and does his every will. The soldier who kissed Isla was a temporary holder of a very powerful egg with enough strength to invade Isla's mind even though she is a persuasive mind reader." Jenny said.

"Why are her eyes so black?" Logan asked disgust coating his voice. A part of me flinched at the disgust in his voice while a part of me or the phoenix part couldn't care less.

"That is a sign that the phoenix has taken over." Jenny replied.

"Why were my brother's eyes not black all along?" Logan asked.

"Because Aiden placed a very subtle egg in him. One that is only there to watch and to take over at certain times...And now enough of questions and answers, take him to prison ward B." Jenny said. As they took Logan away, my mind suddenly snapped open and suddenly I could read all the minds in the room except Aiden's.

Jenny suddenly smirked. "Bring in the King and Queen or better yet the former king and queen."

Two guards dragged Katherine and the king in and I watched them from where I sat on the second throne seat by Aiden's side meant for the queen.

Katherine's eyes widened when she saw me and so did the king. I treated them to a bored, malicious stare that was forced on me by the phoenix.

"Isla?" Katherine gasped.