Chapter 26

Ariane's hand reached for the handle of the cargo hold door, but she pulled it back. She'd promised to stay here. But what if no one came? What if Ax and his men had lost?

Sighing, she flopped against the door. This was crazy. How long did Ax expect her to wait? She desperately wanted to know what had happened. Was everyone okay?

Footsteps coming down the corridor jolted her from her worry. Hurrying across the room, she hid behind a crate. Her breaths quickened as the steps got closer. A cool blast of air blew through the room as the door opened and she heard someone enter.

"Ariane."

A breath she hadn't realised she held came out in a loud exhale as she jumped to her feet to see Bizax stood in the doorway.

"Biz." Rushing forward, she flung her arms around his neck, hugging him tightly and nearly knocking him off his feet in the process. If he'd been a smaller man his bum would have hit the floor. "Is everything ok? Did we win?"

She strained to peer around his large frame, trying to see anything that would tell her the outcome of the battle. Common sense told her they must have won or Biz wouldn't be standing here but she still needed reassurance. "Where's Ax?"

When he didn't reply straight away, she walked around him and peered into the corridor. "Biz, where's Ax?"

Bizax still didn't reply. A feeling of dread settled in the pit of her stomach. If everything was okay, Ax would be here... with food. Spinning around to face Bizax, she got brought up short by his sad expression. Something was wrong, very wrong. She was running through the ship before she knew what she was doing, calling Ax's name as she went. She heard Bizax shouting hers but didn't stop. Chasing down the corridors, it didn't take her long to find the control room. Running through the open door, she stopped in the centre of the room and surveyed the men who all faced her with looks of sorrow.

"Where's Ax?" she asked, her voice shaking.

Heavy footsteps behind her told her Bizax had entered the room, but she didn't face him. No one answered her; she glanced at them one by one. "What happened, where is he?"

"They got him," Bizax replied.

She spun to face him, anger in her eyes. "What do you mean they got him?"

"They got a halt collar on him during the fight. It shows us for what we are and stops us taking a physical form. Kestel escaped and took Ax in the process."

Her gaze darted around the room, hoping someone would call him a liar, or maybe Ax would jump out and shout 'surprise'. It didn't happen. The sad looks just confirmed he was telling the truth.

Walking to the nearest chair, she dropped down into it and ran her hands through her hair, gently tugging on the ends. This was not good. Of all the silly things to do, he went and got himself captured.

After a moment, she sat up straighter and faced the men. "Okay, since Ax has been careless enough to get captured, I guess we'll have to go and rescue him. Where have they taken him?"

"Ariane, we have no idea where he's gone."

She glared at Jas, who dared to answer, and not say what she wanted to hear. She noticed a bandage wrapped around his thigh. "You're hurt."

"Funnily enough, I noticed." The small smile he gave her took the sting out of his words.

"Can't you change forms to fix it?"

He shook his head and chuckled. "That only works in stories. If I change, I'll still be injured."

"Oh." She eyed the men one by one, Sek and Brise each had some cuts Sek had a nasty one on his waist while Brise had one on his arm. Praid was also hurt. A large bandage now covered his midriff. "Praid?"