Chapter 31

"Fex," Sek ducked behind the transporter, dragging Ax with him.

Ax noticed blood oozing from Sek's arm, but the others appeared unhurt.

"How many are there?" Trel asked, attempting to peer around the side of the machine. More shots fired causing him to swiftly get down again.

Ax held up seven fingers in answer.

Sek checked the sight of his gun then reached for the vehicle door before seeming to change his mind. "Trel, give me a hand with this collar."

While Brise and Dyan exchanged shots with Kestel's men, Sek and Trel each grabbed a side of the collar. On the count of three, they both yanked as hard as they could.

The snapping of the metal was the best sound Ax had heard in days. Before the collar hit the floor, he'd changed into his Xan form and pulled in a huge gasp of air.

"Feel better?" Sek asked chuckling.

Narrowing his eyes, he glared at his friend. "You dragged me around like a pet."

Sek's chuckle developed into a full blown laugh, which sounded quite out of place amongst the gunfire and shattering glass of the transporter windows. "Thought I'd get you used to toeing the line. After all, you have responsibility now."

His friend's comment made no sense. He'd always been the one in charge and responsible for the others, unless he meant Ariane. "Where's Ariane?"

Sek's expression turned serious. "Don't worry she's safe. She's with Bizax, Jas, and Praid, getting a new ship."

Ax's heart pounded. He clenched his hands into fists to prevent himself from wringing his friend's neck. "You sent her to steal a ship?"

"Of course not." Sek looked rather offended at the accusation. "She's with them, buying a ship...With stolen money."

"That makes it so much better." Yanking the door of the transporter open, he indicated for everyone to get in. Keeping low, they crawled inside. Ax took the driving seat since he had no gun.

He stepped on the accelerator making the engine roar as they zoomed down the road while his friends continued to fire through the broken windows.

"They're following," Brise called when the gunfire ceased.

The sound of more engines starting behind them could be heard. "Anyone know which way we go?"

"What's wrong, Ax? Has the captain lost his sense of direction?" Sek teased, poking his head out the window to check behind them. He quickly pulled it back in when a shot whooshed past.

"Didn't pay attention before, I was kind of tied up." Ax drawled while taking a sharp right in an attempt to lose their followers.

More buildings appeared the closer they got to town and other vehicles started to provide cover. The gunfire stopped as they left the rural areas. Kestel and the Gornneds obviously didn't wish to draw unwanted attention, but they continued to chase.

He was forced to slow their speed when they reached the busy town centre. Kestel remained close. It appeared they wished to follow them to their destination. Well, that wasn't going to happen. Ax took a sharp left hand turn.

"Ax you're going the wrong way. The docking bay is right," Sek said with worry.

Ax checked his mirror to make sure Kestel was still following. "I know. I saw the sign, but I'm not about to lead them to Ariane."

Nodding in understanding, Sek sat quietly beside him as Ax headed once more for the outskirts of town. He parked outside what appeared to be an abandoned building. "Everyone out."