Promises and Friends

"It doesn't look like you're all right," I told the boy, hoping my face showed as much concern as my voice held. "Do you wish to talk about whatever is bothering you?" I offered. I held China, my doll, closer to my chest, hoping the boy was nice. I had come across lots of really mean kids in the past, and I prayed that this little boy was an exception. He seemed nice enough what with that soft gleam in his beautiful, pure purple eyes.

"I would tell you," he said, pushing his knees away from his chest and unfolding his arms, "but only if you do not make the funny of me." He stared up at me with round, shining eyes, pleading for me to be kind. He looked so innocent, this little boy, with his legs dangling from the boulder into the dense snow and his hands clasped together in his lap. I wanted to look innocent like that.

"I won't make fun of you. I promise," I told him, speaking against the head of China. I had buried my face into her hair, feeling a bit shy near this boy.

"Well, those kids from Mongolia are really really mean to me!" the little boy wailed. "I only wanted to play, but they are wanting to play rough! So I ran and they chased me with bows a-and arrows! I am not even knowing what I do wrong!" The boy's chin pulled to his chest and he scrubbed at his eyes.

He was a victim of bullying. Poor, poor boy, I wanted to hug him, but that would have been awkward, so I opened up to him by loosening my grip on China and lifting my head up from her hair. "What do they do to you?" I asked.

The boy sniffed, still looking down ast his lap. "They... they run at me with arrows and attack me and hurt me! I tell them to stop, but it doesn't work!" he cried.

"Oh, I'm sorry," I cooed. I shuffled over to the boy's left side and, releasing one hand from its grip on China, I patted the boy's back. He flinched at the contact, like he expected the touch to be hurtful. "Don't worry," I reassured him, "I'm not going to hurt you. Not like those meanies." I rubbed his back, letting him know I was only there to comfort him. Somehow, it seemed, he relaxed into my touch.

"That's what they all say," he moaned. "But," he turned his head to look up at my face, "you look a little different. You don't look like you are going to hurt me." He sniffed and wiped another stray tear from his chibi face.

"No, I don't want to bully you. I don't want to bully anyone," I confirmed.

The boy looked at me in awe and amazement, but also wonder. It seemed as though he was awestruck at how someone wasn't going to hurt him for once. "You really mean that?" he gasped.

"Yes, definitely, absolutely," I answered, removing my arm from his back and wrapping it around my doll. "What's your name?" I asked.

"I am Russia," he answered, sliding off the boulder into the snow. He was just my height, exactly my height. "What is your name?"

"In China, they called me 'Jìshù," I said. Then I asked, "How do you say 'technology' in your native language?"

"Tekhnologii," he chirrupped.

"That's my name, then," I declared. "I am the spirit of technology," I added.

"Oh! I am just a poor little country," Russia sighed, bowing his head.

"That is okay!" I piped up. I placed a hand on his shoulder. "Together, we can make you stronger! China began as a small and meek country, but he became super strong with my help! I can help you!"

Russia looked up at me and beamed. "Spasiba!" he cried happily. "Together, we can make this place big country, da?"

"Yes!"

"Okay! That will require lots of manpower!"

"Oh..." my smile fell and my hand slipped from his shoulder to my side. "Well, yes, that may work, but you have to promise me something. Promise me that you will not overwork your people. Make sure their labor makes them stronger, not weaker, okay?"

"Only if you promise me something!" Russia told me.

"What?"

"Always be moy drug," he told me, taking my small hand into his equally tiny one.

"Be what?"

"Always be my friend!" he repeated. "I will do your promise if you keep the one I give to you!"

"Alright," I consented, squeezing his pale hand. "I promise!" I set the deal in stone with a curt nod of my head.

Russia beamed. "Okay! Come with me, friend! I have much land to show you!" With that, he dragged me behind him, prancing happily through the snow. I trailed after him, making sure to keep a good grip on his hand.

See, China? I'm doing all right! I mentally told China. And I was. I really, really was.