4 - Ninja Way

Hyun Jae pov:

"If you don't want to teach me, you can ask the Hokage or whoever Tsunade san is to assign someone else to do the job," I said to Sasuke when he had expressed his dislike for training me. He saw it as a burden and I did not want to make it any more annoying for him.

My words, however, had only made him angry, perhaps because I came off as rude. He regarded me with a glare while clenching his fists by his sides. Though I remained passive in expression, I was mildly afraid inside. These two were shinobi with the ability to control chakra and, most definitely, use it in different forms of attacks. My skills as an assassin would not be enough to protect myself or defeat them in an event that they wished to fight me.

Still, I had not been able to speak without seeming nonchalant or impolite.

"Oi, Sasuke, don't be mean 'ttebayo! Jay chan is our friend now and we have to help her settle in comfortably in Konoha," Naruto scolded.

"She has to learn to be respectful first," retorted Sasuke, his glare at me only sharpening.

"I'm sorry, I did not mean to sound rude. I only don't want to be a burden," I said.

"Save your excuse for someone who will believe it. Or you should at least sound like you're sorry," he said with a scoff. As he shoved his hands into his pockets and walked away from me, I gave a small amused smile at the thought of truly being a burden to him, Naruto and the village in general. When Sasuke was a little away, he spoke without stalling, "You can teach her Taijutsu today, Naruto. I'm not in the mood to look at the face of someone who doesn't have an ounce of gratitude for the generosity of others."

Despite all that he said, I was mildly amused by his attitude as well. He was looking down on me without knowing anything about me and disliking me for being straightforward. I could do nothing about it though, so I remained silent.

"Alright, don’t worry ‘ttebayo! We’ll meet up with you at Ichiraku’s after three hours,” Naruto said, waving to Sasuke. The latter lifted a hand in a wave to say goodbye without turning around. Then Naruto turned to me with a wide smile and asked, "So, Jay chan, tell me what you know about being a ninja."

He took a seat of the ground and patted the place next to him, ushering me to sit down as well. I did and answered, "I'm sorry, Naruto, but I don't really know anything about ninjas."

"That's okay, I'll teach you all you need to know," he chimed, holding up a fist in enthusiasm. It made me smile.

Naruto told me about ninjas from the very basics, beginning with the three basic abilities of ninjas - Taijutsu, Ninjutsu and Genjutsu. He explained how chakra was used in each, along with how it could be concentrated in specific nodes in the body to use certain Ninjutsu attacks or make general attacks stronger. He also spoke of the different nature's of chakra, since we had found out from the chakra paper test that I had fire nature chakra. Every person had an element that they connected to and, as such, was what they could use most easily in Ninjutsu. It was possible for one to have more than one element affinity though, but was usually only visible as they advanced in strength.

Shinobi were classified based on their level of chakra, strength and skill into Genin, Chunin, Jounin and ANBU. While Genin were the youngest shinobi with the least skill level, having just graduated from the Ninja Academy, the ANBU were the strongest, covert operatives that were commanded directly by the Hokage - the leader of Konoha - and often took up the highest ranked missions, as in the most dangerous. In the midst of his explanation, he briefly mentioned the Five Great Nations of this world, and I made a mental not to visit the local library some time and educate myself on the basic knowledge of this world.