8 - Nightmare

Hyun Jae pov:

The mentality of people, in this world and in my own, to see only what was on the surface, both astounded and disgusted me. Sasuke was a good example for that, a victim actually. He was rude, mildly arrogant and unsocial - that's what he seemed to me anyway, sometimes even when he spoke to his Konoha comrades - yet girls flocked to him and threw themselves at his feet for attention even if he didn't like it. He went to the extent of ignoring people he didn't like or he found bothersome. His fangirls made him seem like he was the greatest and most handsome person who had ever lived and it was annoying to say the least.

Perhaps I would have found Sasuke to be nice enough too, if I wasn't a suspicious stranger who had turned up in Konoha all of a sudden and annoyed him. Besides, I had heard from Tenten during our journey that Sasuke had had a rough past - I heard about his brother, his clan's annihilation, and his Sharingan abilities, as well as the fact that the actual truth behind his clan was brought to light after the war. I couldn't say that I had liked what I had heard about his Sharingan because it made my assumption of him being able to easily see through me only true. At the same time, I sympathized with him, for I had had a similar past, losing my family and normalcy of life too, though not for the same reasons as Sasuke had.

"How nice to meet all of you," the princess said, though continued to glance often at Sasuke.

"You will be in their care, Rina, until you reach the Snow Village and are married to Prince Minoru," said the king.

The princess frowned slightly, perhaps in dislike of the alliance - surely it was an arranged, political marriage - but did not voice out her upset.

"Right," she responded with a barely audible scoff. "Well, they should stay until morning. I'm going to get my beauty sleep, so excuse me."

She left with a flip of her hair and there were several of us bemused at the thought of having to deal with a spoilt brat for the next few days of our journey. It was definitely not going to be easy.

"My servants will escort you to your sleeping quarters. Please rest the night and you can leave in the morning," the king said.

Thanking him for his generous hospitality, we followed after the servants and to where we would be resting for the night. We were given rooms lined up along a corridor that opened up into a large lawn garden with a pond in the middle. It was a beautiful sight that had me inhaling deeply with a smile upon my lips.

"We apologize that we are a little short of rooms since His Majesty's relatives are visiting. One room will have to be shared by two of you," one of the servants who had edited is here said.

"Jay and I will share a room," Sasuke said immediately, "since Kakashi asked me to keep an eye on her."

I highly doubted Sasuke's words because even if I was still being kept under surveillance, it did not mean that I couldn't be left alone for even the shortest while. I did not know what Sasuke was up to. Thoughts of being threatened or interrogated when we were alone came to mind and it was unsettling.

A deep sigh left me, all the more because I could feel the prickling glares of Sakura and Karin. A glance at them had me cringing but also noticing that Sakura seemed not only angry but sad - I couldn't figure out the reason for the latter emotion. Then again, I was aware that Sakura had true enough feelings for Sasuke so it wasn't surprising for her to be upset about him vouching to stay with me when it wasn't necessary.

"Once again, we are very sorry for the inconvenience," the servants said.

"It's alright. We're very grateful for the rooms," said Neji.