Chapter 11

Ava ran nonstop as soon as she had heard of the news. Oh no, my Parker. The second she arrived the police stopped her on her tracks.
"I'm sorry Miss you cannot come any closer."
"That's my brother !" She yelled in protest, a officer holding her at a distance. The police officer did not budge.
"Miss , remain calm , we will escort you -"
"Ava !" Parker interrupted from afar. The small tattered clothed boy jumped out of the police vehicle and sprinted across the yard towards his sister. Tears filled her eyes at the sight.
"Parker I'm so sorry!" She cried as they collapsed into an embrace. "I'm sorry I-" she sobbed stroking his soft hair and rubbing the nape of his neck. "Are you okay? Are you hurt in any way ?" She choked looking him over from head to toe. Besides the vile smell and the blood and mud stains, he looked all in one piece.
"Ava.." he whispered his honey eyes melting into hers.He was as cold as death, his cheeks rouge. "He was real. He was always real." Suddenly the tears stopped flowing. Time had stopped. What in the world was happening ?

***
"Where were you Mom?" Ava said calmly but roughly. Ava's mother sighed on the other end of the line.
"I-I wasn't home, I must've missed the call or something! Oh ! My poor bebé! I will be there in just a minute-"
"No don't even bother." Ava interrupted her rudely. "He's staying with me for tonight. Hell, maybe for the rest of the week. I don't know why this surprises me. You're not fit to have him." She snapped. This wasn't the first time Sofia had failed Parker. Every day there was something different. Wether it be forgetting him at school or the store or even forgetting that he outright existed. She wasn't a responsible mother, Parker belonged with someone stable and attentive to his needs. Sofia is the opposite. There were times where she would just disappear for days on end leaving him home alone with just a note reading "Te Amo Guerito, call your sister." Aunt Sarah knew very well of Sofia's ways, and was able to take custody of Ava when she was just baby.
Aunt Sarah- now that was a mother. Loving and nurturing, it was a shame she wasn't able to see Parker. But now it was Ava's turn.
"Ava! Don't say that I-" Sofia pleaded.
"Mom," she sighed "you can't even take care of yourself. Don't ruin another life." The words stung like a slap in the face, but to her heart. "I'm sorry."
Ava hung the phone on the receiver and turned to her room. Parker stood by the entrance in his green pijamas. Ava frowned, he had heard every word.
"I love you Parker." She said as if it justified her actions. His honey eyes grew darker.
"We're family." He stated. Parker shook his head as he climbed his way back to Ava's bed.
---
Damon walked into the boarding house a smug smile of his face. Propping himself on the nearest couch. Elena walked in asking if he had done what she asked, he didn't respond. Playing with a scrap of paper , Elena got annoyed and walked over to rip it out of his hands . But to her surprise it wasn't just a scrap of paper it was a small picture. The picture was of a young girl with a cake reading 'happy 18th birthday Ava '. She scrunched her brow .
Damon eyes gleamed with amusement . "Jealous are we?"
"What is this ?"she asked
"Dessert" he whispered. Elenas head quickly shot up in alarm "Kidding."
"Very funny." She rolled her eyes flirtingly. Punched his arm lightly dropping the picture on the coffee table besides them. He sensed a little jealousy in her
--
Parker was out like a light. Ava ran her hands through his thick hair watching him sleep. He looked so peaceful.
The quiet was soon interrupted by the phone ringing. Ava dashed for it before it would wake up Parker. "Hello?" She answered half whispering.
"Oh Hello Ava, it's Prof Peterson. I'm sorry for calling at such an hour but I have some news. There's going to be a showcase coming soon of only the finest photographers in the whole town and- I hope you don't mind- have nominated you and submitted some of your work from our previous sessions in class. Long story short - they want you there!i hope you will accept" Ava's teacher spoke with such enthusiasm and speed that it took her a while to understand what he had said to her.
Then it hit her.
"Oh my goodness!" She said a little too loud. Parker stirred in his sleep. "Am i Interested ? Of course I am !" She adjusted her tone. Ava was gleaming, this was something she had always dreamed about, and it was finally happening.
"Perfect ! I knew you would accept ! All we need is a copy of that marvelous piece you took the other day to showcase on your behalf !" Her joy was short lived as she recalled her missing tote.
"Oh..." her heart sunk. "This-this is an honor but..." she stammered. How could she tell him that those pictures were gone forever? Ava frowned.
"But..?" He questioned. Ava opened her mouth to speak when from the corner of her eye she noticed something hanging on her chair. It was a black tote with a sticky note on its side. Her eyes widened. "Hold on a sec please." She placed the phone down and walked towards the tote. She touched it as if to make sure it was real. My bag! , her heart soared. She was about to dash towards the phone but remembered the note on the bag. She picked it up and held it in her dainty fingers.
"'You're welcome :)'" she read aloud.
Ava smiled.

——-
A/n -You guys it's been forever I don't even know if you're still reading this but hey here it is . Might write more, mainly for me so I can look back on and read when I'm no longer young and beautiful . ❤️