Chapter 12: 'I Tried...'

"It's a coincidence that Marinette came to school on the same day with you, eh?" Alya inquired, one arm slung over Marinette's neck, tugging Marinette in to join the conversation. Immediate desperation to excuse herself engulfed her mind the moment she awkwardly positioned herself unto her seat, after Nathanael kindly escorted her.

Adrien acted like Marinette was a speck of dust. It seemed as if he didn't even notice her well being in the first place, and deep inside, Marinette knew that by now he could be smirking inside, enjoying the discomfort he gave to Marinette. Marinette was rather bewildered. If she recalled, it was Adrien who dumbly obliged with Chloe's false words, then leading Marinette into a major heartbreak, her heart feeling exquisite pain. Adrien should be feeling guilty, regretful, judging by how Marinette accused him for his actions. But this is clearly the opposite. It was Marinette who felt somehow guilty, and Adrien seemed like he wanted an apology from her. Marinette furrowed her eyesbrows, overwhelmed with this situation and the circumstance Adrien stubbornly placed Marinette in due to his wrong-doings. As much as she wanted to forgive him and forget all this ever happened, this is definitely not an appropriate attitude for someone who wants forgiveness, or even more, to apologize.

"Yup, a coincidence. I actually wanted to rest a little more, but I decided to go to school," he shrugged.

"What about you Marinette?" Alya inquired further. Marinette noticed Nino's and Alya's gaze focused on her, except Adrien. She felt as if he purposely ignored her. The blunette firmly state her words clearly, a tint of anger in her tone was audible as well.

"I have emotional problems going on, so I rested at home, only to be visited by my friend. He was really sweet," Marinette smiled. She slightly positioned herself towards Nino's gaze, as though Adrien was excluded from the conversation. "I consider him as a best friend, and he was the one who encouraged me to go to school..." her tone softened as her cheeks were flushed with the color of tinted pink.

The moment those words slowly rolled off Marinette's tongue and danced their way Adrien's ears, Adrien focused on Marinette, his eyes widening. Adrien felt as if jealousy left his heart, leaving compassionate feelings washing over his well being. Nathanael was no longer in his mind anymore, and Adrien unconsciously smiled.

"Ohoh, look at that. Adrien;s jealous?" Nino wiggled his eyebrows.

"E-er, whaaaat?"

"Oh my..." commented Alya.

Marinette, like the person she is, already noticed the smile Adrien wore. Her heart flipped; happiness fled through her body, only because she got to see the Adrien she fell in love with once again. However, that special feeling she had for the boy was long gone, or you can say, erased.

As much as the blonde wanted to give Marinette a sincere apology, Nathanael, in a way, never failed him to somehow block Adrien from doing that. Adrien gets so riled up in and in a circumstance so easily, not to mention even by the slightest actions. Such as: Nathanael getting Marinette overjoyed, and showing him the smile Adrien loved, or patting her head, maybe walking with her or even something simpler starting a small conversation such as 'good morning' or 'goodbye.' Whenever Nathanael seems like he is inseparable with Marinette, the flashbacks started to taunt Adrien's mind. However, Adrien would eventually calm down his fuming soul and start behaving properly.

"Adrien!"

"Huh?"

"Stop spacing out dude."

"O-oh, sorry..."

Recess time:

"Nino, I gotta go get something real quick! Sorry dude, I'll be back soon!" Adrien's voice faltered as he ran, his heavy footsteps echoed through the building.