Part 3

"You're so beautiful you made me forget my pickup line," he said, the ludicrous sentence making both of them grin like idiots, and there Elin thought he had forgotten. "I was waiting for a good occasion to use this one."

"C'mon," she said, not commenting on the cheesy line he just served her. "Give me this, the ice's melted," she told him, taking back the bag. His eye seemed to be normal again, at least it didn't swell too much.

Chris reminded her that he had to leave and get home. He had promised he would watch after his little sister tonight so his parents could go to the cinema. He saw her expression change when he mentioned his family, as if she thought he would just go home and play Xbox or go partying as soon as he left.

"Do you want a clean shirt?" She asked.

"And wear something one of your one night stands forgot? No thanks," he declined, a bit offended that she would want to lend him that.

"No, dummy," she said, smacking his head. "I have a couple men shirts because I sleep in them."

"Shouldn't this be the other way around? You're supposed to wear my clothes," he told her playfully as they exited the bathroom.

"Do you want it or not?" She insisted.

"Yeah, alright. Can't hurt to not be covered in blood when my mom's going to open the door."

He winced at the thought, as if he had bitten in a sour lemon. He didn't go so far as so follow her in her room, though it was not the lack of envy that made him stay in the living room/kitchen. She came back with a black X-Men shirt, and Chris gave her a pointed look. She shrugged as if saying 'What? Can't a girl sleep in her comics merch?' and he put it on. It was a little too large for a fit guy like Chris, but it was soft – and it smelled sweet, which didn't hurt.

"Alright, thank you for everything," he said, smiling – maybe it was the first time it wasn't a forced smirk with obscure motivations. "I should be home on time if I walk through the park and-"

"What are you talking about?" She laughed, as she grabbed her coat. "I'll drive you."

He seemed taken aback and didn't answer right away.

"You're hurt and stubborn like you are, you might get into another fight if I let you out alone," she explained. He could tell it wasn't the real reason.

He gathered his wits and said, "You just really want to know where I live!"

"Guilty," Elin laughed.

It was hard to word how fucking pleased Chris was to be able to make her laugh and not just receive bitter snarls and icy answers from her. He felt like he was the winner today, no matter how broken his face. The two of them drove quietly, just listening to Elin's music and relaxing after an eventful afternoon. Chris thought of many things to do, or say, but he didn't find any. Were he with any other girl, he'd slip his hand on her thigh, or sweet talk to her, but not with her. She wasn't there yet, she was... something between a friend, a rival and a girl he wanted to sleep with. There was no word for that, and there certainly wasn't a relationship advice book that covered their situation. He would simply have to figure it out himself.

Soon, they were parked in front of Chris' massive house. And despite the ridiculous size of it, the first thing that Elin noticed was...

"There aren't even any bushes! Who doesn't have bushes in their yard?" She asked him, puzzled.

"My parents apparently," he laughed. "Thanks for the ride."

When he opened the door to get out, Elin did the same.