Part 9

"What the hell are you doing here?"

"We need to talk," she said calmly, taking off her coat and hanging it over his desk chair like she owned the place.

"Oh no we don't, get out of my room," Chris immediately replied showing her the door. "Who even let you in at this hour?"

"I let myself in." Elin shrugged, a shy smile lifting up the corner of her lips.

"You- you broke into my house?" He choked on his spit, this girl was going to be the end of him.

She locked the door to make sure they wouldn't be interrupted and for some reason it scared him. They didn't feel the need to lock it when the were having sex but she did it for a simple conversation? He swallowed down and rubbed his face with both hands, sitting down in exasperation because he didn't trust himself not to smash something to steam off.

"The back door's lock is terribly easy to pick," she added before sitting down too, on the desk chair, spinning around a little. "And it's your fault if I broke in, you should have answered my calls."

"Hasn't it occurred to you that I didn't want to talk?" He replied, but his attempted at sounding harsh was welcomed with a pout and a slightly endeared eye-roll.

"It crossed my mind, but I figured you at least ought to listen to me," Elin said, clicking her tongue and crossing her legs, resting her joined hands on her knees. Her stance was terribly professional, she was down to business. "I know why you're upset," she stated.

"For fuck's sake! Why does everybody feel entitled to psychoanalyze me today?! Am I not allowed to have a bad day?" Chris almost shouted.

In his entire liar career, this was by far the laziest, dumbest excuse he ever told anyone, and of course it was to the Queen of liars. He didn't linger on the realization that she had become a kind of role model in the subtle art of deceiving and pushed the thought to the back of his mind – he would come back to it later if he was in the mood to torture himself. He couldn't help but wonder if she could decipher his lies or not? You cannot trick the fox they say...

"Chris? Are you alright?" A muffled voice came from behind the door, making them both stiffen. "Who are you talking to?" It continued. It was his dad, luckily for both of them, he didn't seem to be wanting to enter.

"I'm on the phone with William," Chris dismissively said. He then opted for a more hushed tone when he talked to Elin, and pointed an accusing finger in her general direction as he said, "everything doesn't revolve around you!"

"It doesn't?" She asked in a mock-shocked way, her hand resting above her heart. "Well, I suppose you're right, but this is about me."

Chris stormed up and forward slamming a hand each side of the chair on which Elin was sitting very calmly. She visibly moved away from him when he leaved down, aggressively glaring her way.

"Who do you think you are, huh? Is this all a fucking game to you? You come into my life, fuck shit up, leave and come back to pick up the pieces? That's not how the fuck it works! I have no idea what came over me when I tried to get to know you and told you... personal things about me, it was clearly a huge mistake! And you were there, smiling and threatening to chop off my balls if I was screwing with you and then I find out you were the one putting on an act all along! How do think I should react, tell me! Is it not enough to upset me?!"

And gone was the low voice to keep this conversation between them and not alert the entire household. Elin was taken aback by his sudden outburst and if he wasn't close enough for her to feel his breath against her face, she would have moved, if only to break the unease floating in the air. A tired sigh fell from her lips, and she tore her eyes away from his accusing glare, unable to uphold it any longer. He was even more upset than she imagined in her worst case scenario.