Part 5

Whether or not this was supposed to be date or something else was the least of Elin's concerns. She was just glad she had chosen to wear jeans, because what Chris had in mind definitely require pants. He had brought her to a frozen lake. A bunch of people were there, mostly families, and they tried to make the small children cross the lake without slipping. To be perfectly honest she was quite impressed, because she hadn't given enough credit to Chris. He was capable of being imaginative when needed, and his idea of a date (or not?) wasn't limited to going to the movies and having ice cream or pizza afterward.

"So this is your very special place?"

Elin turned around, looking away from the lake and toward Chris. He was sitting on the edge of the car's trunk, which contained the ice skates he brought and a few blankets.

"Are you gonna tell me why it's so special?" She asked, plopping down next to him and grabbing the skates. "How do you even know my shoe size?" Elin frowned.

"Can't you stop asking so many questions, woman!" Chris complained, his voice laced with amusement. "These were my mom's, I thought they'd fit you."

"Good call, they do," Elin said after putting one on. "I- euh, I never ice skated though," she admitted, cringing slightly.

Frankly that was one of the things she had always wanted to do but there never was a good occasion until now. Her only solace was the lack of witnesses if she made a complete fool of herself. Not that she intended to. The only thing stronger than her fear of failure was Elin's unwavering determination to succeed.

"Really?" Chris asked, his smirk growing, and his tongue slightly peeking out of the corner of his lips. His eyes went up and down Elin's body, as if trying to evaluate her. "Mmh," he hummed, shrugging, "here I thought we'd have ice skating races."

Her jaw clenched at that and she stood up, the ice skates' blade digging in the snow as she placed herself right in front of him.

"Give me one hour and I'll hand your ass to you," she challenged him, leaning down a little bit to be at eye level since he was still sitting. Elin was aware of Chris using reversed psychology on her, but the part of her brain that acknowledge it and was genuinely impressed was put to silence by her competitive spirit.

Seemingly unimpressed and accepting the challenge Chris stood up without any warning, his chest brushing against hers as he did so. He was taller than her from a few centimeters and he was delighted to see the surprise and fluster on Elin's face when he smirked down at her. He was so close she didn't even notice when he raised a hand, palm up, waiting for her to take it and follow him toward the frozen surface.

"You coming or what?" He dared her, obviously enjoying seeing her out of her comfort zone.

Now she had a little idea of what he was going through ever since she stormed into his life. She glared at him and although her heart beat a thousand beats a minute and her breathing was a little uneven, she put herself together and gently took his hand. It as a lot warmer than what she expected, and since none of them wore gloves, she could feel his skin under her fingertips. His fingers curled around her hand and he began walking carefully toward the lake, making sure she wasn't tripping in the snow with her skates.

"Do you want a hand?" He asked, amused when he saw Elin glare at the lake, as if warning it not to mess with her.

"No, no I'm good. I can do this," she said, silently cursing her pride for both potentially being the soon-to-be cause of her face planting, and for depriving her of the opportunity to touch him again. This boy sure knew what buttons to push, both figuratively and literally.