Part 6

Elin's teeth rattled because of how cold she was – she must be close to hypothermia at this point, but she still laughed wholeheartedly with Chris as they drove away, the car heat on its maximum.

"I had fun today," she admitted, not so reluctantly anymore.

There was no shame in admitting it, right? Besides, after a few hours of complete honesty, the truth began to come out more easily. Elin had never been a huge adept of the 'fake it til you make it' philosophy, but apparently it worked. She rubbed her hands together to help the blood flow, but what she needed right now was dry clothes and another hot cup of coffee.

"Me too," Chris said, momentarily looking away from the road to shoot her a smile.

"You just missed the turn!" Elin suddenly said, pointing to her right while the car turned left.

"The turn to where?"

"To my apartment," she answered, as if it was obvious.

"That's not where we're going," he chuckled when her eyebrows rose so high they met her hairline.

"Look, wherever you want to go, just let me change first, or I'll die," she told him. "Like literally, I'll die of hypothermia."

"Elin, I would never let you die," Chris promised her, taking a solemn tone and trying to stop smiling long enough to seem serious. "Don't give me that look," he laughed, placing his hand next to his right eye so she wouldn't be able to glare at him. "We're going to my house, I'll give you something you change into."

She looked at him in bewilderment, her jaw hanging slightly open.

"And who decided that?!"

"I did, just now," Chris replied. "Don't fret like that, I promise that I'll drive you home whenever you ask if I make you uncomfortable," he vowed, holding up his right hand.

Just then, they arrived in his neighborhood, and soon he pulled inside his driveway. They got out of the car, shivering as the harsh winter wind hit them.

"Geez, I can barely move," Elin said through her gritted teeth.

She was being a little dramatic, but since when was she a reasonable person? Never, of course. And Chris, who would ever miss an occasion to mess with her, seized the opportunity and bent down to grab Elin by the legs, only to throw her over his shoulder like a sack of potato, earning a impressively long string of curses and shouts, until eventually he was in front of the door, and Elin had to calm down because his mom once again opened it. She couldn't tell what was worse: bringing her son back to her completely beaten up, or that.

"Is that the package I ordered from Amazon last week?" She asked, failing at suppressing her smile. "Where do I sign?"

"Sorry mom, that package is for me," Chris said as she stepped aside to let them in.

"Hi, Mrs. Schistad," Elin said, still hanging over Chris' shoulder.

When he put her back down, her head spun a little from the blood rush. Her hand flew to Chris' arm to gain some balance.

"It's lovely to see you again Elin," his mom greeted her. "What happened this time?" She asked, taking in the two teenagers' appearance.

"This time it's his fault," Elin joked, nudging Chris lightly.

"Hey!" He protested. "You have to be at least two to have a snowball fight!"

"You started it!" Elin pointed out, grinning widely.