11 ~ The Funeral

DARYL'S P.O.V.

She kissed me. She kissed me.

That sentence repeated in my head, again and again. Well, actually she kissed just my cheek, but still. I wondered why she did it, though. Why would she care about me? I'm worthless, just like my father had always called me. It was true. But does she even care?

In my mind I went back to my tent, together with Alice. We had just talked and suddenly she leant forward and she kissed my cheek. I remembered my cheeks burning like they had never done before and I could still feel her lips on my cheek, even though it was a few hours ago.

She confused me. So bad.

I shook my head, focussing on my work again. I slammed my pickaxe in the next head. And the next. I was already doing this since Alice walked away. But these guys couldn't turn.

I saw that I was about to slam my pickaxe in Ed's head, but I saw Carol walking towards me. I stopped hesitantly, not really knowing what to do. Does she want to say goodbye to him?

She stopped right next to me and in front of her ex-husband. She looked down on him, a sad look on her face.

"I'll do it." she said softly and I was really surprised. "He's my husband."

I looked at her, but finally -and reluctantly- gave her the pickaxe. She sniffed and raised it. She waited shortly and a sob escaped her lips as she swung the axe into his head. Then she raised it again and hit his head again, and again, and again, again... Her sobs got louder and I didn't know if I should stop her. But she already stopped.

She leaned on the handle of the axe and she was still sobbing. Then she dropped the axe and walked away, without even looking at me. I never knew this side of Carol. She was always really sweet and caring and she was always ready to help anyone, even me or my brother.

This is a day full of surprises.

***

I got back to the group, I was ready doing my job and I needed water and food. I was starving. I sat down and saw Alice walking just a few meters away.

I didn't know what to do, I wasn't going to talk to her. I'm not really a talking person, if you know what I mean.

She looked up and locked eyes with me. I felt a small tug in my stomach, but it was gone almost immediately, since Alice looked away. Was she blushing?

Suddenly her face became pale, deadly pale. I looked in the direction she looked and saw Andrea talking to Amy. Amy got up. She got up.

I immediately reached for my crossbow, but I decided to wait. I wanted to see was Andrea was going to do. But of course I wouldn't let her getting bit.

Amy reached out her hands and pulled Andrea closer. My crossbow shot up and I got ready to shoot it. But then Andrea's hand got up and a loud shot was heard.

She'd shot Amy. Then she leaned back over her, just like nothing happened. I laid down my bow and looked in the direction where Alice had been.

I was just able to see her body disappearing in the woods.

ALICE'S P.O.V.

Amy. She turned. But now she was dead officially. And Daryl. Fucking Daryl. What was he doing to me?

I avoided him the best that I could, but it was hard. Right now he was driving the truck we were all walking behind.

I saw the place where Rick and Shane were digging the graves. When we reached the place I could just hear Daryl's words.