Chapter Two

A/N: Chapters will get longer as the fic progresses - I'm just setting up the story for now, so bare with me!(:

For a minute I can't formulate a coherent sentence, so I just sit there taking in her words.

''I was in love with Lauren Jauregui, and a part of me always will be.''

There's no way, right?

There's no way I've been blind to something like irrevocable love for the better part of 4 years. I thought that what had been misconstrued to be '#camren' ended up just being me figuring out my sexuality; I knew the rumours weren't true on my end, but I never stopped to consider the fact that perhaps there'd been some truth to it for Camila.

'Wow...so this is the level she's willing to stoop to for attention and sympathy...pretending to have feelings for you,' Lucy breaks the silence.

Logic would tell me that Lucy's right: this seems like a fool-proof way for Camila to gain sympathy and rewrite the narrative our management came up with through that Instagram back-and-forth. Rational Lauren would pin it on publicity straight away. But confused and pensive Lauren recalled the image of Camila's face as she admitted her feelings for me and thought that she heard truth in her words and saw truth in her eyes. Sure, I've (potentially) been unaware of another human's love for me for this long, but as her friend, I know for damn sure when Camila's lying and when she's telling the truth. I don't have much more time to dwell on this, though, because my phone goes off.

Camila: Hey, just wanted to give you a heads up in case you haven't seen it yet, but I talk about you amongst some other things in a new interview. I know we haven't talked but I wanted to have the decency to still let you know. Happy new year, by the way

Lauren: I actually just saw a clip from it, and I'm not really sure where to begin. I'm not free for the next few days but when are you next available to meet up?

Camila: January 6th I fly back to Miami from Cancun.

Lauren: January 6th it is. And happy new year to you too

Camila: Can I just ask before I see you - are you mad?

Lauren: I should be really mad, but mostly I'm just really fucking confused. I'll let you know how I feel after I've sat with the information a little longer

Camila: Understandable. I'll give you space until the 6th then

Lauren: Okay, thanks

'Babe?'

Suddenly I'm back to reality and notice my girlfriend's been trying to get me to speak for several minutes. I just now realise that I've been silent since the TV cut off and Camila text me.

'Shit sorry, I'm fine. Just really fucking lost. I so did not need this right now...'

Lucy wraps a protective arm around my neck, pulling my head down to her chest and playing with my hair gently.

'It's okay, love. We're gonna have a great New Years tonight, and then I'm taking your ass skiing - just block her out, you don't have to think about her anymore. She's gone. It's over.'

Then why does it feel like it's only just begun?