chapter 9 ↝ salt in her wound

I THINK I WANT TO SPEND THE REST OF MY LIFE WITH HER.

Natalia brushed her skirt down, grabbing her coat. Sliding into it, she filled her purse with her wallet and lipstick. The doorbell rang, and she lightly jumped.

"Coming!" she called, darting to the door. She took a deep breath and calmed herself before opening the door. "Charlie," she smiled.

"Ready to go?" he asked, gallantly extending his hand to hers. Natalia blushed, grabbing it. They made their way to his car and drove to the restaurant. Charlie had asked Natalia out on a date a couple days after Millie's funeral. It was bad timing but highly anticipated in both of their minds.

They were seated at a booth. The light was low but bright enough to be able to fuzzily make each other out. A single candle in a water glass cast more shadows on their table.

"I felt so bad for Sadie," Natalia said, draping the napkin over her lap. "Sadie Sink."

"And Finn Wolfhard, Caleb McLaughlin, Noah Schnapp, and Gaten Matarazzo, right?" Charlie questioned and took a sip of his wine.

"They were all extremely close friends with Millie."

"Millie was a gifted student," Charlie said, smiling comfortingly at her.

"She was certainly something," Natalia agreed. "So, where would you want to travel?"

"Travel?" He arched an eyebrow. She couldn't help but blush in the light. His eyes twinkled when he saw her turn red.

"Anywhere."

"Paris, London, Athens, Europe, all for photography," Charlie answered thoughtfully. "And what about you?"

"Paris, partly for the shopping and culture, but like you said, photography."

"Didn't you say you were looking into the choral position?"

"I'm not so sure now," Natalia admitted, swirling the wine in her glass. It swished smoothly in the glass.

"I think you have a natural eye for photography."

"Thank you," Natalia smiled. She loved the feeling he gave her; he made her heart dance in her chest.

"Why did you start teaching?" Charlie asked, meeting her eyes.

"I wanted to teach and be able to share what I learned. Learning was a gift for me, and I want to express that to students. I want to share this wonderful thing with them."

"That's exactly how I feel," Charlie whispered. The server came to their table and took their orders. His name was Cameron. He seemed to notice the tangible attraction between them and left quickly.

"Charlie, do you like me?" Natalia softly asked. He looked at his plate then back at her.

"I think you're a wonderful person."

"It's a 'yes' or 'no' question," she simpered.

"I want to know you better," Charlie answered.

"I agree."

"In fact, this is our first serious date, but I already feel like I've known you my entire life," Charlie continued. Natalia smiled, covering her face with her hands. "Don't do that," he whispered, pulling her hands away. "You're gorgeous."

"Thank you," Natalia squeaked out. He just smiled at her. "But we have known each other for a year."

"It was the best decision to request a teacher's aide," he sighed, tangling his fingers with hers.