chapter 22 ↝ catharsis

I JUST NEED ONE DAY WHERE I CAN BE ME AND NOT HAVE TO PRETEND TO BE SOMEONE I'M REALLY NOT.

Millie looked at the clock, sighing deeply. Too much had happened in the three months since David's death and Noah's hospitalization. The clock continued clicking, oblivious to her annoyance.

She took the rag and started cleaning the gun, deftly rubbing the metal until it gleamed. It had become a habit to clean the gun even when it already shined. David was a nuisance, but killing him had been too far. It had been a mistake.

Millie shook her head, though no one saw her do so. She was beyond tired. All she did was run and hide from her stalker, forced to protect herself from an enemy she knew nothing about. It pained her to see her friends caught just as deep as her in the mess, but it was something that had to be done.

Sadie, Noah, Caleb, Finn, and Gaten were entangled in it, but she wasn't going to let them go. They were going to suffer just as she did. They were going to inevitably feel her pain, sorrow, and burden, but she would fix this. She would make it better.

Millie's resolve hardened, and she set the gun down. It wasn't going to be peaceful anymore. Noah was still in the hospital. It had been three months since he fell into the coma.

The group needed her more than ever. They needed her to fight for them, and fight for them she would.

-

She held the cigarette between her lips. Her fingers picked up the phone. Clutching it in her palm, she dialed the number, pursing her lips. With her other hand, she twirled the phone cord.

It rang for three counts before he picked up.

"Hello?" The boy asked. She inhaled slowly. "Hello?" He repeated.

"It's done," she finally said and hung up. She plucked the cigarette out of her mouth and smeared it on the ash tray. Smoke rose like an avenging phoenix.

-

"Do you even like me?" Romeo asked, crossing his arms. Sadie shifted uncomfortably. She could feel anger radiating from him.

"I promise, look, you deserve to know what happened," Sadie sighed. "I didn't mean to kiss him."

"But you did."

"It was an accident, I- I needed someone, and so I just- I kissed him, okay?"

"That doesn't make it okay," Romeo responded coldly. "You waited three months to tell me this. Did none of our dates mean anything? Were you just playing with me?"

"I know it's not okay, and that's why I'm telling you now that if you want to break up, we can."

Romeo bit his lip, eyeing her carefully. She shifted again under his intense gaze. "Would you stick by me if we stayed together?" He finally asked.

"I promise inviolably."

"I'm not going to leave you, then. You deserve a second chance," he relented.

"Thank you," Sadie exhaled and tipped her head back. Romeo stepped forward and hesitantly held her in a hug. She leaned her head on his shoulder, sniffling.