Chapter 22: Gone, Gone, Gone

"For you, for you

You will never sleep alone

I'll love you long after you go

And long after you're gone, gone, gone"

(Gone, Gone, Gone by Philip Philips)

Rachel

I couldn't believe it.

My life was so messed up that a night with a beautiful boy, dressed in a really expensive gown at a lavish ball seemed so far- fetched. No. It seemed like a fairytale. And while Damian was no prince charming, I wouldn't have him any other way.

"Name," the security man at the door said in an extremely bored tone.

"Bruce Wayne and company," came the reply. The man immediately glanced up from the list and gave a beaming smile.

He immediately stepped aside and gestured for us to enter. "Good evening, Mr. Wayne. Please, come in."

Bruce gave a polite nod, before escorting Diana inside, and we followed right on their heels. I thought Damian looked good, but when I saw the place, another gasp left my lips. Whoever decorated the place for this event must've been paid a huge amount of money. It looked fantastic. Chandeliers hung from the ceiling, with silver gossamers adding to the magical effect. There was an open space for dancing, and I could already see a few couples gliding across the floor.

Before we could step forward, we were stopped by a couple of people. The older man and woman were unfamiliar, but the girl with the immaculate blonde hair and bright blue eyes was. Daphne gave me a shocked look, before roaming her eyes over me in disdain. I ignored her, listening to the man speaking to Bruce, instead. "Bruce Wayne," he greeted, shaking hands with the billionaire.

"Mister Mayor, it's nice to see you again," Bruce replied easily. I still couldn't get over how different he was here from the Batman persona I also witnessed. This man should be given an Oscar for his acting skills. "Allow me to introduce Miss Diana Prince."

The mayor seemed awestruck for a moment, before taking Diana's hand and placing a kiss on it. I felt Bruce's irritation flare at the gesture, and I couldn't help my amusement. Underneath his cool façade, Bruce Wayne was actually a well of emotions. "Bruce always brought the prettiest dates," the mayor commented, though I felt it was more out of spite than simple teasing.

I think Bruce knew this, too. Well, I could see where Daphne learned her amazing social skills. Before Bruce could reply, or possibly put a batarang in the mayor, Diana spoke up. "Trust me, Bruce has never brought a date like me before," she said with a sly smile and shared a look with Bruce.

"Hi Damian," Daphne spoke for the first time that night, drawing my attention back to her. I couldn't deny how beautiful she looked in her pink ball gown. It seemed fit for a princess.

"Hello," Damian replied politely back, probably due to ingrained manners in his system.

Daphne seemed pleased at the small response and proceeded to initiate a conversation with him. "I like your tuxedo. You look really nice."

Damian's expression turned wary as he struggled to think of an answer. "Er... thank you. You're gown is beautiful."

"Thank you," Daphne replied with a beaming smile.

Wow. I would be jealous if I didn't feel bad for her. She was a beautiful girl, and I'm sure a ton of other guys would give her more attention than Damian, yet here she was, content with the crumbs he was giving her. The heart really did make us do stupid things. Leaning close to Damian, I whispered, "Offer her a dance."