Chapter 4

The guards burst out laughing and Corcedeth and I looked at them, completely dumbfounded.

“Sneaking around with the king’s daughter now are we?” one of the chuckled and I grinned weakly with relief. They didn’t know about the dwarves, my heart slowed down to its normal pace and I could tell Corcedeth was relieved as well.

“Keeping the princess all to yourself?” the other laughed as he winked at him. “Don’t worry Corcedeth; we won’t tell anyone, she’s a lucky girl…”

Both of the guards walked out of the forest and continued along their path, still chuckling loudly. I glared at Corcedeth and he cringed slightly.

“You are so lucky that they didn’t see them two!” I exclaimed angrily as I pointed to the two dwarves as they pulled themselves up.

“I know, now keep out of sight everyone,” he whispered as we raced through the kingdom without meeting another soul along the way.

We eventually made it to Corcedeth’s home, which was a particularly large elven building upon a large oak. We hastened for the Dwarves to climb up the steps before anyone saw us and Corcedeth lead them up into a closed off room where they would be safe for the time being. The building was quite large and open, it had huge windows and balconies that could easily show any passers-by what lay inside, including the dwarves. At one end of the room was a magnificent four poster bed that was carved out of the tree, silver hangings were draped across it for decoration. On the other side of the house was a small pearly-white door that I supposed lead to Corcedeth’s private stores.

“You do not understand how much I’m risking, doing this for you, dwarves,” whispered Corcedeth as he rushed over to the small door and unlocked it with a small key that hung around his neck.

“We understand, young elf,” said Nάli as he and Dain slipped into the door that Corcedeth held open for him. “Now if you would be so kind to as lead us to the meat and you won’t hear a peep from us.” I threw a sideways glance at Corcedeth who looked at me back with his eyebrows raised.

“Er – I don’t exactly have any meat at the moment,” said Corcedeth slowly and Dain’s eyes rounded in complete shock.

“No meat?!” he exclaimed. “Well how do expect us to live in this – this – elf hole?!”

Corcedeth opened his mouth to retort, but I cut him off short, not knowing what could happen if the dwarves weren’t satisfied.

“We’ll find you some meat as quickly as possible. Now stay in here and be quiet!”

The dwarves opened their mouths to say something, but Corcedeth closed the door in their faces. Quickly locking it and stuffing the key back into his collar.

“Now I suggest you return to your home, Ninothriel,” said Corcedeth. “The dwarves will be safe here for now.”

I nodded and shot out of the door; I didn’t want to be late when the guests arrived. I was expecting a relaxing evening with nothing to worry about, but with all that had happened that day, I knew that my mind would be constantly worrying about the rumours of Mordor and the dwarves that we had locked up in Corcedeth’s home.

***

When I arrived in my own home, I changed once again into a twinkling green dress that was made of the finest silk in Middle-Earth. I made sure that my flowing hair was smooth and undisturbed and that my tiara was beautifully set straight upon my head. I cleaned my feet in the water basin and rubbed a little rosehip ointment into my hands, I had to make sure that I was looking my best for the guests that evening.