Three - Employee to Lover to Boss

Alex's POV

I was sitting in my office somewhat frustrated at the documents before me. I didn't know who the names belonged to even though I had signed them clearly. I was already getting a headache when I heard a knock on my door.

"Come in" I said without looking up.

"Good morning Alexander" Mia said in her usual lovely voice.

I stood up quickly to say hello and greet her with a kiss on the cheek. She seemed flustered which made me realize I probably shouldn't have kissed her. I looked at her and smiled, "so I figured my office was large enough to add another table and everything for you to work in here with me, if you want an office for yourself that works too I just thought since you'd be helping me it was easier for you to be here so we could talk easily."

She nodded slowly and agreed, "that is completely fine, I think we can work together. Annabel did tell you that I'm not an expert right? I just was your secretary and know some names and deals."

"Yeah that's completely fine, any help you can provide is great."

Mia's POV

I set my bag down and sat on my new desk, "where do we begin?" I asked him.

He handed me the documents he'd been working on and brought a chair over to me then sat next to me.

"I am not too sure who these people are and I signed deals with them..."

"Oh yeah I remember them, Mr. Jones came to your office when I first began working here."

I begin to explain the deal and everything that happened while looking down at the paper. When I finished and looked up, Alex's face was so close to mine that I could feel his soft sweet breath against my face.

We were looking into each other's eyes for a few seconds until I broke it off and scooted back.

"Next document?" I asked him with a shaky voice.

His lips twitches a little with a smile and handed me the next file.

Alex's POV

Mia looked so adorable when she focused on something, I couldn't help but look at her beautiful face.

It had been three hours since we had begun working on the documents and she was doing an amazing job. I wish I could remember what it had been like to be with her, to feel her soft skin and taste those beautiful lips.

I wish I could go back in time so that I could do better and stop her from divorcing me. I was so close to her I could feel her warmth radiating off of her. It made me feel happy and whole again. It has been tough knowing that my father passed away but my mother and Annabel have been extremely supportive about it which has helped me mourn.

"I think we should take our lunch break now so we can continue later? We need to prepare for the briefing meeting you have tomorrow" she said in her angelic voice.

"Yes of course, would you like to accompany me for lunch? We can go wherever you'd like."

"Actually I can't, Ethan wants to come over to have lunch with me..."

The smile on my face fell even though I tried to play it off, "no worries, I completely understand" I said.

She smiled a little at me and walked out after putting her jacket on. I felt like an idiot for starting to like her all over again knowing that she was taken but I couldn't help it when she was so sweet and kind.

I had lost my appetite now so I just decided to continue trying to memorize the names of my employees to their faces.

Mia's POV

I tried to slow down my heartbeat after that little moment with Alex. It reminded me of when we had first began dating and he asked me for dinner. I could not let myself go down that path again. I was deep in thought when Ethan came and wrapped his arms around me.

He said, "I brought your favorite, baby" while showing me the food he ordered.

He continued, "I thought we could sit at the park and eat your lunch so you can get some fresh air instead of being stuck in the office."

He seemed to be in a better mood since I told him I was working with Alex so I smiled at him wanting to keep him happy.

"Thank you Ethan."

We were sitting down at the park enjoying our picnic and relaxing for the hour break that I had. He looked so healthy now, his cheeks were full of color while we laid under the sun.

"I think that one is a puppy in the middle of doing a summersault" he said while laughing and pointing at a cloud.

I laughed because only he would come up with something like that, "I think you're silly." I told him.

He laughed again and pecked my lips. We had been holding off on physical affection before because I told him I felt uncomfortable doing that if I wasn't divorced yet but now that I was divorced he felt the freedom to kiss me and touch me more often which I wasn't sure I enjoyed completely.

We had a good relationship but I preferred to keep it just between talking and laughing together. Almost a more friendly relationship than a romantic one.

As I walked back into the office I saw Alex sleeping on his desk, he must have been tired and taken a short nap. I wasn't sure if I should wake him up or not and while debated wether to wake him I heard him softly say "Mia" in his sleep.

Why would he be saying my name? Could this mean that he still has some sort of feelings for me? I quickly shook those thoughts away because I had a boyfriend now.

I decided to just sit down and start working but when I did that he woke up.

"You look tired" I told him.

He laughed a little bit and rubbed his face, "no I am good, should we prepare for the briefing now?"

I nodded and we continued to work.

Alex's POV

I woke up because I felt a presence in the room. When I opened my eyes I saw that it was Mia. My heart instantly felt happy but when I scooted closer I could smell his cologne on her which annoyed me when it shouldn't since I was nothing to her now.

I tried to stay focused on the work we were doing instead of thinking of her or him but it was more difficult than I thought. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to have her work with me again...