Seven - Warmth

1 week later
Mia's POV

I followed my routine and got ready for work but as I did this I took the time to choose a dress that fit my body perfectly. I did my make up as best as I could and put on the perfume that Alex had given me while we were dating. For some reason I felt like I needed to look my best today. It had been about a week since what happened at the restaurant between Alex, Ethan and myself.

I really did not think that Ethan would tell Alex about us moving in together but it makes sense that he did now. He was trying to warn Alex to stay away and it definitely worked which upset me. I know I did not deserve Alex's attention since I was with Ethan but I felt incomplete without Alex.

I guess I was trying to make myself look as stunning as possible so that maybe I would capture his attention for a minute today. I needed his kind eyes on me and his beautiful voice saying good morning. I wanted to break up with Ethan but it just seemed wrong for me to do that when he needed me most and that is why I stayed with him.

When I stepped into the office I immediately looked toward Alex hoping he would look back and our eyes would meet but all I received was a quiet "morning" without him even glancing in my direction.

The disappointment settled uncomfortably in my stomach but I stepped closer to him and set down a cup of coffee that I had made on my way to the office.

"I got this for you" I said.

That finally made him look up at me and I couldn't help the smile that escaped my lips as he took me in. I could see he was trying to stop looking at me but could not.

He murmured a quiet thank you while looking straight into my eyes and then a confused look crossed his face as he said, "your perfume... it's familiar but I can't tell where I have smelled it before."

"You gave it to me while we were together" I said with a small smile.

He seemed taken aback at first but then a small smile started to show on the corner of his mouth. When his smile grew into a full one, the happiness I had been wanting for the last week overwhelmed me.

Alex's POV

I sensed her before I saw her. When she opened the door a said a muted good morning. It wasn't that I wasn't excited to see her because I was. I just did not want her to know how much influence she had on my emotions.

I would be lying to myself if I said I did not care about her living with Ethan because I did care and it pained me. But I couldn't let her know she has that kind of power over me especially when she chose him over me.

I thought she'd head directly to her seat but instead I saw a coffee cup placed in front of me.

"I got this for you" you said in an unsure but optimistic tone.

"Thank you" I replied as I looked up at her. She looked absolutely radiant. She always looks beautiful but today she just completely took my breath away. Her dress fit her perfectly and showed off her beautiful body. The black color of it contrasting beautifully with her smooth skin. Her hair flowing in soft waves and her beautiful blue eyes shining excitedly.

As I took in her appearance, a sense of familiarity coursed through me. Her perfume had a familiar aroma but I could not remember where it came from so I asked her.