Chapter Four

I flopped onto my bed and stared at the ceiling. I couldn't sleep. I had to think. Dauntless? Factionless? Erudite? If I was really desperate, Amity? I MUST figure this out. I climbed into my bed and hugged the picture from my dresser. It's of my mom and dad. Laura and Harvey. Laura and Harvey Platel. Parents of Nicky Platel. They died while trying to stop an intruder in the Amity compound about eight years ago. I curl up in a ball. I could get revenge on the Factionless for intruding and killing my parents, or I could join them and secretly kill people in their sleep. I giggled. I could vision me stumbling and getting killer myself. Defiantly NOT working undercover. Maybe I'll think of it by the morning. I closed my eyes and hugged my picture.

~

I stretched. Last night I had dreamt of destroying a whole simulation. Silly. Can Divergents do that? Can they manipulate simulations? I started to get dressed, but it was hard because my head was full of activity.

Hey you! Make a new file called Divergent!

Go to the eye station and help her pick her clothes you idiot!

D-I-V-E- how do you spell it?

FIRE! A FILE IS ON FIRE! RUN!

I have the extinguisher!

My mind was having its own conversations. I yawned and got ready.

"Oatmeal and bread," I mumbled "I'm sick of this Amity stuff. I want out of here."

After I got ready, I walked downstairs, ate, and hopped into the truck. Kelsey handed me the banjo and smiled shyly. It was an offer. Choose whatever. I'm with you always. I can see you aren't staying here, so enjoy the banjo and truck while you can.

I gratefully accepted. As I strummed the banjo, I watched my past fade into the orange trees out of the back of the open truck.

I am no one's. I am my own. I am Divergent.