Chapter Six

The train tracks started going up onto a little narrow bridge, above some buildings. I looked out the open door and gulped. This was going to be hard. I looked at my new acquaintances and saw a look of sheer terror on their faces. They looked at me and understood that I was scared too. People in the front cars started jumping out. A muscular man with a million piercings stood up. I wonder if each piercing represented something.

"We're nearing the drop off. You'll have to jump over that alleyway and onto that roof." He said and pointed at a large tan roof top. We were the last cart, so everyone was watching us when it was our turn. People from our cart started jumping. Dusk gave us another look of sheer terror and jumped. She made it! I looked at Julia, tried to smile, and jumped. The wind whipped my face as if it did something bad. My slightly baggy top coat flung itself around in the wind. I fell, face first, onto the roof. I shook it off and stood up. My nose was hurting, but I had to watch the last person, Julia. She threw herself out and the wind seemed to carry her because she looks so light. She hit the roof on her stomach and started to slide down. She screamed as her hands held to the edge of it. What should I do? Do I help her? Everyone started walking to the other side of the roof but Dusk. Dusk gave me a glance and I ran to help Julia. Her left hand slipped. I bent down and held out my hand. Her right hand slipped. I grabbed her by the shirt and tried to pull her up. She grabbed my other hand with hers and got a grip on the roof with the other. Her over coat started slipping. Oh no. She fell straight out of that and flailed her arms. I grabbed both hands just has she was almost out of reach. I hauled her up and Dusk ran over.

"Why didn't you help her?" I almost yelled.

"I'm not strong enough," Replied Dusk hastily "I have terrible strength." I huffed and we ran to the other side of the roof. Everyone was waiting on us. They saw me help her, and Dusk standing there.

"Nice of you to join us," The pierced man told us "Now. There's a hole in the next alley. Jump down it." The initiates ALL looked terrified. About a quarter of the already-Dauntless members jumped in and the others snickered and stepped back. They wanted to see a show. Ally Nitav stepped forward and shot me a malicious glance. She held her arms straight out beside her and fell forward. Her Erudite clothing looked bright in the sun. She disappeared into the hole. I decided I'd try to make myself up and go next. Someone started to step forward nervously, but I ran up. I tried to discard my Amity roots.

"Step aside, wimp. Let me show you how it's done." I told them and pushed them back.

I ran to the top of the roof. Everyone cleared from my path, looking curious or irritated. I took a deep breath and ran. I ran all the way off the edge, falling without any plan whatsoever. My coat hit my face as I fell straight down. I curled into a ball and fell into the dark hole. I'm going to die, oh my gosh I'm going to die. They've sent me to die. I hit a netted surface and it shakes. Trying to hide my shaking, I look around. It's still pretty pitch black in here. I can tell there are some lights, but they're turned off. The only light is the little bit coming from the hole. I see the man who had pressed the 1 in the elevator walk over.

"Take my hand." He said. I took it and he heaved me out of the net.

"Thanks." I say, cheeks starting to blush.

"The name's Kearston." He smiled. He has short, dark brown hair, perfect sea green eyes and a sort of tone to his voice that made you feel funny. I take a deep breath. I will be Dauntless and no one will stop me.

"Kendall." I smile back.