9.) advanced warfare

ruby

All I can see through my fingers is his beat-up sneakers. The tears in my eyes make them blurry and glossy, but I can't stop the tears from falling. I sniffle as he brings his hand up to my chin. "Don't touch me." I cry, trying to move away from his touch. I can't move, though, and his hands pull on my wrists. I continue to weep and whine like a small child, trying to cover my face, but I can't get away from his fists.

"Aaron, stop. Aaron, please." I plead, falling from the kitchen counter and onto my shaking legs.

"Ruby, it's okay." Aaron says. His voice is calm and soothing, but at the same time, I don't want to hear it. I don't ever want to hear it. "I've got you, Ruby. I promise."

"No, you don't! You never did!"  I scream as loud as I possibly can. My throat is scratchy and hurts from crying and screaming. My eyes are still watering as I try to pull my hands away from him. "Let go of me!"

He moves my hands down to my sides, and I can't move them away because he is so strong. It almost makes me cry even harder because I can't protect myself as he begins to kiss me. It's rough and more possessive than loving. I try to back away from him, but the bright blue counters are right behind me.

"Get off!" I shout, finally finding enough strength to bring my knee up to his groin. When he exclaims in pain, I take the opportunity to run away from Aaron, who is struggling to get off the floor.

"Ruby?" He calls; his voice soothing and soft again. I stop and almost turn around. His voice is the same as that first time I met him. He was cute and offered to take me out on a night I'd never forget. And, I haven't, but I wish I could, because every time he does something that hurts me, I always think back to the times where he was the best thing in my life.

"Hey, hey." Joe's voice cuts through my dream, and I open my eyes to see the shirtless brunette standing over me. His hand rests on my cheek, and it's so much more affectionate than what I had felt in the dream. Joe smiles at me when I finally make eye contact with him.

Aaron would never be the best thing in my life again. Never again.

"There you are, love." He says as I pull myself up into a sitting position on my bed. He pulls my bed sheets back on to my bed before sitting down in front of me. I wipe my cheeks and eyes to get rid of the tear tracks.

"Thanks for waking me up." I say, running my hands through my black hair. I haven't dreamt about Aaron in so long. It hurts my heart to see him after months without it.

"Anytime." He says, reaching over to stroke my leg that is crossed over the other. "Can I ask you a question?" He asks. I want to turn away and ignore him like I was able to do the first few times he has asked, but I can't do that. I owe him something by now.

"Uh, I guess." I shrug.

"Who's Aaron?" Well, fuck. The probability that I screamed Aaron's name is quite likely, but I was really hoping that it did not happen. Obviously it did. So, I sit and stare at Joe while trying to think of the best response possible.

"He used to be one of the most important people in my life, and I did something stupid, though looking back at it now, I think I did the right thing." I tell Joe. I told him I loved him, and he would never say it back. He hated it so much. At least eventually it got me away from him. The older boy studies my face as I do the same with him.

"You loved him, didn't you?" He asks after a moment of silence.

"With all my heart." I answer honestly. We sit in silence for a short minutes. Joe continues to softly rub my calf, and I play with the hem of my shirt. I'm not even remotely tired anymore, but I can see that Joe is. I hate to ask him to sit up with me.