12.) tease

joe

Honestly, I wasn't quite too sure about Zoe and Ruby's sleeping plan last night. Ruby didn't want to share with me, which is understandable. I didn't push her about it because she had good reasoning. I mean, it's just been a bit over a week, and I didn't want to make her feel uncomfortable. Zoe didn't want anyone sleeping on the couch, so she decided that her and Ruby could take Alfie and hers bed while Alfie and I could take the guest.

Now, it seemed like a foolproof plan until Ruby started shaking her head slowly at me. The nightmare disorder. Sometimes it seems so weird that Ruby would have something so terrible waiting for her at the end of every day. "I can't control when I have them, Joe. I can't just like, turn it off." She protested after I told Zoe it's fine.

"I know, babe." I told her as we stood outside the guest bedroom. I pushed a piece of hair out of her face and behind her ear. "You're going to be okay, alright?" She kissed me quickly and trudged down to the master bedroom. I heard Zoe say something from the room before she came out.

"Hey, look." I said, grabbing my sister's arms. "I don't know if Alfie told you, but Ruby's got a special disorder that causes her to have nightmares, so if she begins screaming at any point in time tonight, just wake her up and then come get me, okay?" With a small, puzzled look on her face, Zoe nodded and continued on her way. Zoe never had to come get me, and the next morning, Ruby woke me up smiling at about nine in the morning.

We are currently on a train back to London. Ruby is drawing the woman sitting across the aisle from us. She's not drawing her too realistic, and it's strange to see her other style in pencil. She leans up against me as I sit with my back where the wall meets the seat. My hands rests on her hip under her sketchbook. "She's got a weird nose." Ruby mutters.

"It's just got a small bump on it. Just like yours." I tell her, tapping the bridge of her nose right where it comes up. "How did you get that anyways?"

"When I was little, we had this like playground type thing in our backyard that had swings and a slide, and I wasn't supposed to be on it unless someone was watching me. But once when I was five, my parents and I were outside, and my parents got into an argument, so I tried to distract them by climbing up on to the slide. They just kept screaming at each other, so I began just running everywhere on the little platform. One little misstep and whoops, I fell right off the slide, right on my face." She laughs at herself after she's finished. "To seem cool, though, I used to tell people that I got in a fight."

"I like the playground story much better." I laugh, laying my head on top of hers.

"Yeah. Especially because if you walk away from a fight with a broken bone, you didn't exactly win." She says, sketching out the woman's nose again.

"Some of the boys might be round when we get home." I say, remembering the things Caspar sent me last night. The rest of the boys had gone out drinking and knowing Caspar, he just let them stay over until they sober up.

"I don't mind. I kind of like your friends." She answers before groaning at the drawing. "I give up." She flips the book closed and tosses it on to the table separating us from our bags. She pulls down the sleeves of her Cactus Boy hoodie. I didn't honestly think that she would wear it by the way she acted when Oli gave it to her.

"We need to get you a Sugg Life hoodie." I suggest. She turns her head up to look at me.

"What? Like that ugly green-colored one you wear all the time?" She scoffs while I make a face of mock annoyance. "I'm kidding, hun. I'd love one of your little Sugg Life hoodies."

"Nope. It's too late now. You already disrespected the green." I murmur, turning to look out the window.

"Are you seriously going to give me the silent treatment?" She asks after trying to call my name a few times. I continue to stare out the window at the trees passing by so quickly that they just look like one giant green and brown blur. "You fucker." She mutters. I resist the urge to smile as she begins to pester me further.