07.Him

Once someone's hurt you, it's harder to relax around them, harder to think of them as safe to love. But it doesn't stop you from wanting them.
Holly Black, White Cat (Curse Workers, #1)
○○○
Listen to Say something by The Great Big World ft. Christina Aguilera
○○○

I stood there, mesmerized by her playing, as if the music was the only thing that existed in the world. Her fingers danced over the keys with such ease, and the melody that flowed from the piano was like nothing I had ever heard before. As the last note faded away, I found myself breathless and unable to speak.

But then she stopped playing, and a look of fear crossed her face as she looked at me. It was as if she had seen something in my eyes that frightened her. I didn't know what to say, so I just stared back at her, lost in the intensity of the moment.

Finally, she smiled and took my hand, guiding it to the piano keys. I felt like a child learning to walk as I clumsily hit random keys, making a discordant noise. But she didn't seem to mind. She was patient and gentle, and her touch on my hand was electric.

As we played together, I felt like we were in our own little world, away from everything else. I was amazed by her talent and her passion, and I felt drawn to her in a way that scared me. I had never felt this way before, and it made me feel vulnerable.

But then my mind went back to my mother, and the pain of losing her. It was a reminder that love could be fleeting, and that it could hurt just as much as it could bring joy. I couldn't bear the thought of losing someone else that I cared about, especially someone like Evangeline.

But despite my fears, I couldn't deny the way that she made me feel. It was like she was unlocking something inside of me, something that I had kept hidden away for far too long. And even though I knew it was dangerous, I couldn't help but want more.

I didn't know how to respond to Evangeline's flattering comment, so I simply ignored it. The music room was empty except for the two of us, and Evangeline looked uncomfortable as she kept flipping her hair from front to back. Despite my desire to stroke her hair, I resisted the urge, reminding myself that I needed to protect her from my dark world. I had already sensed her fear and sadness before, and I knew that sharing my past with her would only put her in danger.

My father was a cruel man who had destroyed many of my passions, including boxing. He had sabotaged my attempts to enter a boxing competition and even locked me up when I showed signs of being better than him. If he ever found out that I had feelings for Evangeline, he would use her to hurt me. I couldn't let that happen to her.

Out of the blue, Evangeline asked me about my major, and I answered in a clipped tone. Despite my rude response, she continued to smile at me kindly. I was amazed that she was still being nice to me after everything I had done to embarrass her.

She continued to ask me questions about myself, but the memories of my past were too much for me to handle. I felt a familiar ache in my heart as I told her that I had been homeschooled by my mother because I couldn't afford to attend school. I looked over at Evangeline and saw that she was staring at the piano keys with pink cheeks and a bitten lip. I felt bad for burdening her with my problems.

When Evangeline told me that she was from Detroit too, I didn't know what to say. I felt overwhelmed by the new me, who was able to hold a conversation with someone without feeling angry or defensive.

I had to leave before my father locked me up or came home, but I didn't want to leave Evangeline. As I said goodbye to her, she gave me a quirky smile that made her eyes shine with warmth. I left the music room feeling defeated, my amber eyes drooping from exhaustion.

When I arrived home, I was angry to see my father with another prostitute. I had received a phone call from the hospital earlier, informing me that my father had been hospitalized for injuries sustained from his drunkenness. I skipped detention to pay for his hospital bills, but I was broken and had to rely on the police to help me out. The bruises on my back were sore, and I hadn't slept or eaten properly in days. Avoiding the wall in class was my way of avoiding any more pain.