19.Him

Have you ever been in love? Horrible isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable. It opens your chest and it opens up your heart and it means that someone can get inside you and mess you up.

Neil Gaiman, The Kindly Ones (The Sandman, #9)
•••

The sight of my house with a broken door and a shattered window glass made me sober to reality. The reality was something like this: kicked dad out, he hired a man to kill me, dad succeeded but I came back to life. I had Evangeline with no money and a shitty life. I could tell she was curious but got scared when I had my tantrums directed at her. She ought to know eventually but it was too soon for her to delve deeper into the sad life of Ryson Adams.

"Stop thinking," Evangeline advises as she squeezed my hand. A part of me never wanted to let go of her but I had to until I could wipe away the dark patches of my past.

"Evange," I said softly, "we have to go our separate ways from here." She was miserable, and I wished I could just make her happy all her life.

"I will, but on one condition." She muttered and I was interested in what she was about to tell me.

She fidgeted with her jacket zip and avoided my eyes like cancer. I knew that she wanted to know.

"What happened?" Her voice trembled when she asked as her emerald eyes met mine hesitantly, "about the..." she winced, "accident."

I guess I had to tell her sooner or later since she was involved in my life now. The interesting thing that I never wanted this to happen because it would be a monstrous thing to do; to risk someone's life with your dark past, I never wanted this for Evangeline. A true angel.

I never wanted her to fall as harder as I was. Fate definitely had a twisted path and bumped on a big hill to put us together.

"It was my dad who assigned a man on a mission to kill me," I clarified her doubts casually, "yea, my life is pretty hell." I shrugged my shoulders and she scowled at me, I looked at her scowl in amusement.

"Don't say that again, mister." She demanded hotly. I chuckled at her defensive behavior when it came to me.

"Or else?" I asked suggestively as my arms embraced her back and pulled her to me. Her warm eyes connected with mine and we smiled at each other.

"Or else, I will haunt your dreams." She spurted and I laughed at her attempt at getting me scared.

"I don't know how I can get by the day without you," I admitted and her eyes dimmed at the mere thought of not seeing each other in school since I wouldn't attend these few weeks until I filter my dark memories away from us.

"Don't worry," she grinned as she continued, "I will ignore you even if you are there for my piano lessons." She joked, I tickled her sides as her laughter filled my ears like music notes. Moments like these made me want to live for her.

We parted ways after few tears on her side and frustration on mine. I got into my wrecked house and pushed my curls back as I formed a plan in my head. There was only one way to stop my father.

The gang leader, Yemen.

I smiled as my plan took me to success. I had to do this as fast as I could and I even planned it out further in my head. I could only hope that it would work this time.

Mom, I will stop them. I promised as I looked up and grabbed my motor keys with a victorious smile on my face.

I was about to go until I was interrupted when my phone rang. It showed an unknown number and I felt it was a bad decision to answer but I did anyway.

"Hello?" Alexa's voice sounded through the other end of the phone. I sighed, I had no time for her lectures.

"Yea?" I mumbled I needed to implement my plan before they knew about my accident. "Listen to Alexa-"

"No," the silence of Alexa's background showed that she was in a bathroom stall, "you listen, I don't give a damn about who you are but messing with my best friend's future is a red line for you." She snapped in anger and I frowned in confusion.

"What?" I asked. I didn't understand what she meant by that.

"Evangeline missed out on Julliard because of you. She had an opportunity to show her musical talent." Everything around me started to turn and I felt hot fury dispersing into my body. Evangeline lied to me, I felt like a spoilt kid. I hated that she thought everything had good intentions, even lied to my face because she didn't want to hurt me.

I could have handled it fine and told Julliard that she had an emergency so they could set up a meeting. I clenched my jaw and hung up. My priorities changed as I straddled my motorcycle and sped up to the Michigan Council that had the Julliard University as guests there to promote their work.

"How may I help you?" After hours of me exhaling my anger out, I had managed to enter the council center gracefully.

"I need to talk to the manager of Julliard University." I rushed out, this was their last day here and I needed to let them hear Evangeline.

"They're busy-" I groaned at the typical receptionist who rejected everything and ran up the fancy stairs, into a random room.

A man in a navy suit and had his hair styled back turned to me with a raised eyebrow and I was overwhelmed by the collection of vodka from around the world he had on his table.

"Are you the manager of Julliard?" I asked. He stared at me for quite a while and then answered.

"Yes, I am." He said as he closed his fancy Victorian curtains.

"I need you to do me a favor," I demanded and he crossed his arms as I knew I had his full attention now.

"And what is it?"

"Hear Evangeline play the piano."