Chapter Five

I close the car door behind me and look at the brick building ahead. Groups of teens were gathered around the parking lot, locking embraces and exchanging warm smiles.
Today was the beginning of my senior year of high school. After this, my whole life was ahead of me, my career choice, big life decisions. Everything.

"Are you ready?" Rodger asks me, his hand sliding in mine and I shake my head.

"No, but I have to go in there anyways." I smile and he presses his lips against my cheek.

"Everything is going to be fine." He assures.

We take a few steps towards the main double doors and I watch as Garren and the other boys walk in the same direction, but from another end of the parking lot. They lift up their hands in a wave to our direction and we return it.

Countless pairs of eyes watch them, gazing upon them with wanting. Girls swoon over the Parker Boys as if they were some kind of celebrity group, but in a way I guess they were 'celebrities' to the school.

We push open the double doors and make our way inside. The familiar scent of cafeteria food fills the hallways and my stomach turns slightly with nervousness.

Lockers like the walls and I look at the sheet of paper that was mailed to me, finding that my locker number was 145.

Rodger glances at the paper and helps me find my way through the hallways until we are standing in front of the red locker that is now 'mine'.

"What number is yours?" I ask him and he looks at his paper.

"129." He looks to me and smiles, giving my hand a squeeze. "I better get going. I only have a few minutes. Let me look at your schedule really quick."

I hang it to him and he frowns but is quick to recover.

"We have Chemistry together, although we have enough of our own." He hands me back my paper with a grin before pressing his lips to mine gently.

"I'll see you at lunch." He smiles, turning away to find his own locker and start his day.

I open the locker and of course find it empty, I stare at the red metal blankly. I hang my grey hoodie on one of the hooks that are mounted to the side, preparing myself for the day ahead of me.

"I see we will be neighbors in lockers as well." A voice says and I glance around the open door of my locker.

My eyes fall on his and my stomach flip flops.
Tanner stands before me, dressed in a casual olive green cotton tee, and a pair of dark wash jeans. His dirty blond hair is ruffled on the top of his head, and his eyes look tired.

"I suppose." I reply, turning away from him and back into my locker.

"I'm sorry for what was said the other night at the party. You were right, it was none of my business."

I do not say anything, I shut the locker without a response and turn away from him.

"Brooklyn," he says grabbing my hand. I meet his gaze, surprised at the contact and he pulls away, his eyes dropping to the floor. "I'm still always going to be here for you."

I stare at him a second more before the warning bell rings, telling everyone they needed to get where the needed to be.

Again, I do not say anything.

I have only been at school for four hours and I already have three homework assignments, and not like the "what did you do with your summer" paragraphs, actual lengthy homework.

I load the books that are titled "mine" for the year Info my locker quickly, not wanting another encounter with Tanner after the one this morning.