Chapter Twenty

Brooklyn's POV 
          I spent the rest of that weekend glued to my mattress, endlessly watching cheesy romance movies, ugly crying and stuffing my face with my body weight in ice cream. Quietly watching my hermit state, my dad gave me space, awkwardly checking on me now and then.
          The week passed in a blur as I slowly force myself to get settled into my new school. Kyle introduced me to his group of friends, allowing me to have a few familiar faces in some of my classes. They were the middle group, the kind of kids that knew everyone, but wasn't associated with a particular clique.
          "So, this is a start of our three day weekend, what havoc are we going to stir?" Kyle announces as he tosses his backpack into the corner of his living room.
          I cross the room and take a seat in the tan recliner that has become my designated spot this week, during the frequent after school hang outs with my new friends.
          Celia throws herself onto the couch, her black hair ruffling around her face and she blows her away from her mouth with a small poof.
        "There's a party in Cedar Keys tomorrow." Nikki informs, picking the legs Celia had sprawled out onto the couch cushions, and placed them in her lap as she sits down beside her.
          "Ooh! They always have the best parties, can we go?" Celia props herself on her elbows, her eyes gleaming as she looks to each of us.
          My eyes meet Kyle's from across the room, his lips quirking with a small smile.
         "We haven't seen if Brooke has a wild side yet or not." He clicks the power button on the remote and the tv beams to life.
          "She does." Nikki says confidently, nodding slowly, her tongue tracing her lips as she holds back a smirk. Her eyes flash to mine and she chuckles.
         "I've gone to a few parties in Cedar Keys, seen you there a couple of times."
         "I guess we know what's happening tomorrow." Kyle claps his hands loudly, rubbing them together afterwards. He sets his Spotify on shuffle and the music hums softly around us.
          "I shake my head, knowing that if there was a party in Ceder Keys tomorrow, the Parker boys would be of full attendance.
          "Don't even shake your head, you can't lock yourself away from living the life of a partying teenager just because you're afraid you'll run into your ex." Celia chimes in gently and I take a deep breath.
          "That's easy coming from you Celia, you've gotten used to running into ex's with as many as you have." Kyle teases, coming back into the room after secretly vanishing. He sits down beside the coffee table, placing a wooden cigar box onto the surface and lifting the lid.
          "Hey now, guys don't count. That was a time of confusion." She holds up her hands in a mocking defense, then places her hand on Nikki's thigh and gives it a slight squeeze. "And before I met Nikki."
Nikki smiles and leans forward, placing a gentle kiss on Celia's mouth.
          "You guys are gross." Kyle groans, grabbing a rolled joint and lighter out of the box. He slides a window open to a slight crack, then takes a seat on the arm of the chair I'm sitting in.
          We pass the joint around, light conversation stirring giggles and smiles. The smoke swirled around the room, wrapping itself around our bodies in a light haze.
           We are all sitting in a comfortable silence, vibing with the playlist Kyle sets up for us, absentmindedly watching the music videos that flicked around the tv screen.
           The front door opens and Kyle's mom makes her way inside, her head snapping in our direction when the smell reaches her nose.
           "What have I said about smoking in the living room?" She sighs, lifting an eyebrow in Kyle's direction.
           Kyle mumbles a few excuses and she shakes her head, a smile toying at her lips slightly.  For a high school guidance counselor, Joyce wasn't what you would expect. She was caring and protective, but was free spirited.
          We hang out for a while longer, chattering about anything our minds came up with, allowing the topics to be pretty obscure. At some point, we shuffle into the kitchen and raid the pantry and refrigerator of anything that would satisfy our munchies.
          Finally, at about nine thirty we begin to gather our things and make our way to our cars. Kyle walks us out, standing in his driveway as we all get into our vehicles.
          "So party in Cedar Keys tomorrow?" His voice echoing through the now quite, and dark neighborhood.
          "Let's go." I confirm, turning the key of my car as I hear Celia hoot with excitement.