Chapter Nineteen

Brooklyn's POV, a week later

"You have to come, it's our school rivalry." Kyle explains as we walk to my locker after last period. Kyle had been here the past week showing me around the school and introducing me to the people I would be surrounded by for the months to come.

"I don't really do football games." I shrug, pretending that I had never been on the side lines cheering one four boys who held their own piece of my heart.

"If you don't come, I will have my mom transfer you into some class you would dread." He begins, his eyebrows drawing down in thought. "Hm, maybe P.E."

"Are you blackmailing me?" I scoff, a smile playing at my lips and he laughs.

"Maybe! Are you going to come to the game tonight, or not?"

I stand there for a moment, debating whether or not P.E sounded appealing to myself or not.

"Fine, but I'm going home directly afterwards." I confirm and his smile grows.

"You're going home directly after we go out for burgers." He corrects and I lift a warning finger playfully.

"Don't test me." I throw my backpack over my shoulder and shut the door to my locker, approaching the doors without saying another word.

"I'll see you at the game, Brooklyn." He calls from his place in front of my locker and I lift a hand in the air, signaling some kind of goodbye.

·

I run the brush through my brown locks and glance in the mirror, having come to the conclusion that I would stay in my dark wash skinny jeans and plain gray v-neck. I throw my army green jacket over my open skin, assuming the October air would have a chill to it this evening.

"Going somewhere?" My father asks me from the hallway, he must have been passing by and noticed my preparation for leaving.

"Yeah, I decided to go to the football game tonight." I tell him and he nods, his lips turning up slightly.

"Who are they playing?" He continues casually, walking into the living room and I follow. Zeke jumps down from my bed and follows us, taking his new spot on his own bed in the living room.

"Not sure, just was asked to go, so I am." I an apple from the fruit bowl and my keys from the counter, giving him a brisk smile before heading for the door.

"Brooklyn," he begins and I turn to find him facing me, his eyes twinkling slightly. "I'm glad you're here."

For a moment I am caught off guard from his out of the blue sincerity, but am surprisingly quick to recover.

"Me too." I tell him before walking out of the apartment. I am surprised at how much truth I actually hold in those two words. I had originally felt so out of place here, and wasn't accepting this new lifestyle, but the more time I spend with my father, the more I felt at place.

The drive to the school takes a little longer than usual due to all of the traffic from the people who were also trying to attend the game. Kyle's words about tonight being the game where they played their rivalries runs through my head, making me understand the amount of people eager to attend the game.

Struggling to find a parking spot, I pull into an empty spot along side the street and hurry towards the bleachers. I am passing by one of the gray brick walls when I hear loud laughter and voices. My head turns to seek the noise, my eyes finding the open door leading to the locker room. Shirtless boys come into view and I feel my cheeks burn slightly.