Chapter Eight

A couple of days pass and I try not to allow Eva's words bother me too much, but that doesn't stop them from floating around in my mind from time to time.

Things were good between Rodger and I, and for now, Eva was nothing I needed to worry about. I loved Rodger, and he loved me.

I also came to the realization that Monica also shared my history and calculus class with me, giving me a familiar face and allowing me to have someone to work with when we could have partners.

After the party, I had driven Rodger, Monica, and Dalton home, and we had to get her car from the party the following day. We had stumbled her way to my bedroom where she flung herself on my bed, falling sleep moments later.

Her face turned bright red the next morning when I informed her that she had looked Dalton straight in the eyes and said:

You may think you have me Parker, but it's going to take more than your good looking face to get me. Unlike the other girls you have bagged.

She had avoided Dalton ever since.

That Sunday after the party, Dalton had came to stand in the doorway of my room as I worked on homework. He stood quiet a moment, his hands in his pocket, already telling me the topic he was about to address.

"Spit it out." I had said and he ran one hand through his hair.

"So, Monica," he begins and I smile up at him. "Have you heard from her?"

"No, I didn't get her number, and obviously you didn't either."

He shook his head his eyes twinkling as he had looked to the floor.

"She makes me nervous." He chuckled.

"Is that a good thing?" I had asked him.

"No girl has ever made me nervous, I don't know if it is a good thing or not." He smiled and then it faded slightly. "But what she said in the car.."

"You know the rumors, all you Parker boys are known to be heartbreaking players."

"They aren't rumors, I have played with the feelings of so many girls. How do I make her see that I don't want to be that guy when I'm around her?" he had said softly.

"You just have to prove it to her with time."

I hadn't told Monica about the conversation, I wanted Dalton to take things into his own hands, so that he could make her see what his intentions where, rather than me doing it.

"So, do you want to work on our project after school?" I asked her as we walked out of the history room, where we had just earned a one hundred point project in which Monica and I were paired to work on together.

"Yeah, sure." She nods.

"I don't know if you want to come over and face the boys, so if you want to, we could always go to your house and do it-.."

"No." she cuts me off quickly, stopping her steps in the hallway, her eyes piercing mine. "I mean, I wouldn't mind working at your house, the boys would be fine I'm sure." She covers, clutching her books tightly to her chest.

I take her in, her frail figure looking small in the crowded hallway. She wore the same grey jacket she had on at the party last week, jeans, and a white v-neck.